Jump to content


Bbc Teletext To Be Switched Off

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, makapaka said:

Teletext has been replaced by the internet.

 

zero need to keep it.

In your opinion.

And no it hasn't "been replaced by the internet". You shouldn't generalise, or patronise, many use it for a quick look at the news because the TV is on and they are waiting for the next programme to start. In addition, for those who haven't got / don't want a smart phone, text is very useful for finding out the weather (or whatever) without having to fire up a PC or, if on holiday, having internet access at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

In your opinion.

And no it hasn't "been replaced by the internet". You shouldn't generalise, or patronise, many use it for a quick look at the news because the TV is on and they are waiting for the next programme to start. 

That's precisely when I use it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

In your opinion.

And no it hasn't "been replaced by the internet". You shouldn't generalise, or patronise, many use it for a quick look at the news because the TV is on and they are waiting for the next programme to start. In addition, for those who haven't got / don't want a smart phone, text is very useful for finding out the weather (or whatever) without having to fire up a PC or, if on holiday, having internet access at all.

Nope -  in the opinion of many - which is why it will go.

 

if it was so widely used there wouldn’t be a discussion. 
 

It’s old technology that is not fit for purpose because most people use the new technology available to them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2020 at 09:54, willman said:

It is an age thing though - teletext and such. You either used it when it arrived and now can't do without it or you've never used it.

I bet my daughter (35) doesn't even know it exists 'cos i've never ever used it,although my dad used it for football scores at one time.

 

Your right Willman, just read on Teletext...

50% of 10 yr olds own a smart phone, and 24% of 3/4 yr olds own a tablet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Padders said:

Your right Willman, just read on Teletext...

50% of 10 yr olds own a smart phone, and 24% of 3/4 yr olds own a tablet.

And I read it on the BBC news app ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Nope -  in the opinion of many - which is why it will go.

 

if it was so widely used there wouldn’t be a discussion. 
 

It’s old technology that is not fit for purpose because most people use the new technology available to them.

 

 

I bet it's more widely used than the BBC think.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I bet it's more widely used than the BBC think.......

I think they’ll have a good idea how many times people access the service.

 

theyll also have an equally good idea how many people access their online service.

 

its like asking them to go back to analog radio cos some people prefer it - times moved on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I think they’ll have a good idea how many times people access the service.

 

theyll also have an equally good idea how many people access their online service.

 

its like asking them to go back to analog radio cos some people prefer it - times moved on. 

No, the BBC will have an exact figure for the number of people who use their online service via their website(s) stats package(s). They will not know how many people use their broadcast services (Text or indeed programmes) without conducting an expensive and time consuming survey then extrapolating the results.

But in any case the BBC is there to provide  service to all, particularly the disadvantaged. I admit I don't have a smart phone out of choice, but there are significant numbers of people who don't have one either because they can't afford then or don't understand them, usually, but not exclusively, older people. Text is one of the things which makes the BBC different from eth commercial broadcasters, and that is increasingly important these days when the licence fee is coming under pressure

However, at the end of the day, I cannot imagine running the text service costs that much in the greater scheme of things.

As I mentioned earlier, there are probably quite a few people who don't rely on it but use Text (news and sports headlines etc) as a time filler waiting for  a programme to come on, or whilst the adverts are on. It's not only me who has made this point on other forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

 probably quite a few people who don't rely on it but use Text (news and sports headlines etc) as a time filler waiting for  a programme to come on, or whilst the adverts are on. It's not only me who has made this point on other forums.

Who waits for programmes or sits whilst adverts are on these days?

 

TV on demand is what people are watching.  Hard disk recorders have been mainstream for many many years now on both Freeview and satellite with the ability to pick and choose programmes, watch them when you want and skip through any ad breaks.

 

I'm sorry but teletext (even the fancy red button type) is a dinosaur of a service with a completely dwindling market.  It's inevitable it will be turned off at some point.

 

In 2019 there's a world of information on my mobile phone more than ever would be found on the red button service.  Given the current generation of pensioners have been around more than long enough to embrace the world of mobile telephony and home internet, there are very little excuses for clinging onto a dying service other than one's own stubbornness to change.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

No, the BBC will have an exact figure for the number of people who use their online service via their website(s) stats package(s). They will not know how many people use their broadcast services (Text or indeed programmes) without conducting an expensive and time consuming survey then extrapolating the results.

But in any case the BBC is there to provide  service to all, particularly the disadvantaged. I admit I don't have a smart phone out of choice, but there are significant numbers of people who don't have one either because they can't afford then or don't understand them, usually, but not exclusively, older people. Text is one of the things which makes the BBC different from eth commercial broadcasters, and that is increasingly important these days when the licence fee is coming under pressure

However, at the end of the day, I cannot imagine running the text service costs that much in the greater scheme of things.

As I mentioned earlier, there are probably quite a few people who don't rely on it but use Text (news and sports headlines etc) as a time filler waiting for  a programme to come on, or whilst the adverts are on. It's not only me who has made this point on other forums.

Smartphones arent particularly expensive these days - older people can learn to use them if they can be bothered also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Who waits for programmes or sits whilst adverts are on these days?

 

TV on demand is what people are watching.  Hard disk recorders have been mainstream for many many years now on both Freeview and satellite with the ability to pick and choose programmes, watch them when you want and skip through any ad breaks.

 

I'm sorry but teletext (even the fancy red button type) is a dinosaur of a service with a completely dwindling market.  It's inevitable it will be turned off at some point.

 

In 2019 there's a world of information on my mobile phone more than ever would be found on the red button service.  Given the current generation of pensioners have been around more than long enough to embrace the world of mobile telephony and home internet, there are very little excuses for clinging onto a dying service other than one's own stubbornness to change.

You may call it "stubbornness to change", but who are you, or the BBC, to tell other people how to live their lives ?

Personally I do not want a smart phone, I want to get away from the soddin' internet. I've seen too many people glued to their smart phones ignoring the world around them (even out at a restaurant with their wives / husbands / parents ! ), no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

You may call it "stubbornness to change", but who are you, or the BBC, to tell other people how to live their lives ?

Personally I do not want a smart phone, I want to get away from the soddin' internet. I've seen too many people glued to their smart phones ignoring the world around them (even out at a restaurant with their wives / husbands / parents ! ), no thanks.

The bbc aren’t telling people how to live their lives - you don’t have to do anything they say - including buy a smart phone - they don’t have to provide you with outdated technology either.

 

you could just use the smart phone for what you used teletext for - you don’t have to glue yourself to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X