Bbc Teletext To Be Switched Off

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

I don't think any TV manufacturer will be interested in monitoring or spying on what content is viewed via the smart television in our household. 

Then I can only conclude you don't understand why they do it.

I and my family use it daily. We are all deaf and this is our best way of keeping up with news, local and national and also weather and , to a lesser degree, sports news.

We don't have to trawl around and we don't have to wait - it is there 24/7 on demand and the best service we could ask for.

This is all about saving money which is disgusting when we see how much they are paying some presenters and those at the top.

The 24 hour news channel is already laughable with a 10 minute fly through of the news with no depth and interspersed with the damned Click and other various rubbish.

If they want to do as they please, then take the licence fee away and let them find a way to finance themselves in the real world but they will have to do that without my family's help. 

4 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

There seem a few on here who`d miss it, I think we should all try to give the BBC some "feedback" on it, if enough people complain they`ll keep it, I`m sure of that.

Do you really think they would listen? That's  wishful  thinking.

Let’s face it, the BBC want to save money in order to fund other parts of their remit.

It would, however, be interesting to see exactly how many Beeb employees are in Japan on the Rugby jolly, and how many of those actually flew cattle class. Perhaps one of the Red Tops will do an FOI request! 

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 17:35, Organgrinder said:

I and my family use it daily. We are all deaf and this is our best way of keeping up with news, local and national and also weather and , to a lesser degree, sports news.

We don't have to trawl around and we don't have to wait - it is there 24/7 on demand and the best service we could ask for.

This is all about saving money which is disgusting when we see how much they are paying some presenters and those at the top.

The 24 hour news channel is already laughable with a 10 minute fly through of the news with no depth and interspersed with the damned Click and other various rubbish.

If they want to do as they please, then take the licence fee away and let them find a way to finance themselves in the real world but they will have to do that without my family's help. 

Couldn`t agree with you more, have you sent a complaints form to the BBC ? There`s still a chance they`ll change their mind if enough people express their displeasure, and change of support for the TV licence.....

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:43, jaffa1 said:

Do you really think they would listen? That's  wishful  thinking.

Yes I do.

21 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

have you sent a complaints form to the BBC ? 

I have. I don't know how they deal with complaints but I have done my bit, it's all I can do.

The BBC's Teletext service has been given a reprieve until at least the Spring, while the powers that be consider all the objections to closing the service. 

Apparently they've received a larger number of complaints than they were expecting, especially from pensioner groups & those without access to the Internet for their news services. 

19 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The BBC's Teletext service has been given a reprieve until at least the Spring, while the powers that be consider all the objections to closing the service. 

Apparently they've received a larger number of complaints than they were expecting, especially from pensioner groups & those without access to the Internet for their news services. 

Thanks for that Baron, I was going to ask why I can still get it.. goodish news, I use it all the time..

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I can assure the BBC however many complaints they got was less than I was expecting...… I thought they'd get huge numbers of complaints, it surprises me they've waited so long to announce a rethink and even then they haven't cancelled the switch off.

The only thing I regret is I didn't get to sign any of the petitions which were apparently handed in.

8 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

I can assure the BBC however many complaints they got was less than I was expecting...… I thought they'd get huge numbers of complaints, it surprises me they've waited so long to announce a rethink and even then they haven't cancelled the switch off.

The only thing I regret is I didn't get to sign any of the petitions which were apparently handed in.

I was watching the BBC's "Newswatch" programme on Saturday morning & this topic was raised. 

As one person who wrote into them said, if a little less money was spent on needless outside broadcasts, (case in point later in the morning around 9am, a reporter doing a piece about the UK leaving the EU but stood outside 10 Downing St. with nobody else about & then doing a commentary over Friday night's video footage. 

Reporters doing outside broadcasts where they speak to fellow reporters to get THEIR opinions or in the case of the recent Australian bush fires, where the BBC already have Australian based reporter or use local Australian reporters, flying 6pm BBC news anchor, Clive Myrie, out to Australia to give a 5 minute piece to camera about the fies.  Think not only if the cost but also the environmental impact of flying Myrie there & back. 

Trim a bit of the above & there might be money to continue to fund the Teletext? 

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I was watching the BBC's "Newswatch" programme on Saturday morning & this topic was raised. 

As one person who wrote into them said, if a little less money was spent on needless outside broadcasts, (case in point later in the morning around 9am, a reporter doing a piece about the UK leaving the EU but stood outside 10 Downing St. with nobody else about & then doing a commentary over Friday night's video footage. 

Reporters doing outside broadcasts where they speak to fellow reporters to get THEIR opinions or in the case of the recent Australian bush fires, where the BBC already have Australian based reporter or use local Australian reporters, flying 6pm BBC news anchor, Clive Myrie, out to Australia to give a 5 minute piece to camera about the fies.  Think not only if the cost but also the environmental impact of flying Myrie there & back. 

Trim a bit of the above & there might be money to continue to fund the Teletext? 

Good post,  I think the person who wrote to the BBC made a good point.  They also want to look at their wage bill for the highest paid stars and see what cuts they can make there.

6 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Good post,  I think the person who wrote to the BBC made a good point.  They also want to look at their wage bill for the highest paid stars and see what cuts they can make there.

Not just the highest paid ' stars '  ( if you can call them that ! )

One particular programme where money is blatantly wasted is .......     Rip Off Britain.   Actually it's the license payers who are being ripped off.    Why it needs three presenters when one would suffice.  Frequently off on a jolly presenting from Tenerife / Lanzarote etc.  when the programme is anything to do with holidays but nothing related to where they are !!   Very, very annoying.