Bbc Teletext To Be Switched Off

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

If they can find another similar age woman to join them, they could film a British version of the Golden Girls. To the credit of the BBC at least they now let older women continue to present programs because they used to pension them off early to make way for much younger women.

I call them the Three Stooges.        😕

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

If they can find another similar age woman to join them, they could film a British version of the Golden Girls. To the credit of the BBC at least they now let older women continue to present programs because they used to pension them off early to make way for much younger women.

I can’t think of their names but didn’t a few older women presenters take the BBC to court saying they were being discriminated because of there age, and they won their case.  

There does seem to be more older women working for the BBC now.

It is an age thing though - teletext and such. You either used it when it arrived and now can't do without it or you've never used it.

I bet my daughter (35) doesn't even know it exists 'cos i've never ever used it,although my dad used it for football scores at one time.

On 02/02/2020 at 01:17, Baron99 said:

As one person who wrote into them said, if a little less money was spent on needless outside broadcasts, (case in point later in the morning around 9am, a reporter doing a piece about the UK leaving the EU but stood outside 10 Downing St. with nobody else about & then doing a commentary over Friday night's video footage. 

BBC Breakfast is the worst.  They ship their stupid red sofa all around the country.

Same with this coffee cart.  It wasn't driveable between locations so had to be packaged up and transported.

Image result for bbc breakfast coffee cart

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, willman said:

It is an age thing though - teletext and such. You either used it when it arrived and now can't do without it or you've never used it.

I bet my daughter (35) doesn't even know it exists 'cos i've never ever used it,although my dad used it for football scores at one time.

Teletext has been replaced by the internet.

zero need to keep it.

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

zero need to keep it.

I use it all the time, football, news, horse racing, share prices,  etc..

Internet too much faffing..

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

I use it all the time, football, news, horse racing, share prices,  etc..

Internet too much faffing..

If you've got a smartphone or tablet, download the BBC news app and the BBC sport app. Both very very good.

It's sad it's going, I recall Saturday afternoons watching the football scores, but that's 25, 30 years ago now.

15 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I can’t think of their names but didn’t a few older women presenters take the BBC to court saying they were being discriminated because of there age, and they won their case.  

There does seem to be more older women working for the BBC now.

Here you go.  Miriam O'Reilly from Country File. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jan/11/countryfile-miriam-oreilly-tribunal

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Here you go.  Miriam O'Reilly from Country File. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jan/11/countryfile-miriam-oreilly-tribunal

I was thinking of another Countryfile presenter who took on the BBC for ageism, but I think I must be wrong.  Thanks for the link.

I use teletext a lot. It's good when you know where to look for what you want - AND quick.

Internet? Yes I'm never off it too.

Sports details etc.on a modern TV  - not bad but too many steps to get your info. A lot better than nowt.

20 hours ago, makapaka said:

zero need to keep it.

In your opinion.

And no it hasn't "been replaced by the internet". You shouldn't generalise, or patronise, many use it for a quick look at the news because the TV is on and they are waiting for the next programme to start. In addition, for those who haven't got / don't want a smart phone, text is very useful for finding out the weather (or whatever) without having to fire up a PC or, if on holiday, having internet access at all.