Thomas Cook In Financial Trouble

7 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

Obelix I don't think willman understands ATOL is an insurance scheme and as with all insurance a fee has to be paid to secure that insurance. It has nothing to do with buying a package deal per se. 

https://www.comparethemarket.com/travel-insurance/content/atol-protection/

I don't know if TC chose not to have ATOL for flight only more recently or if they were not allowed to have it as they had been in financial trouble before. Balkan flight only are ATOL protected. 

Thing is, those without ATOL cover wont definitly be coming back on the repatriation flights, so I really dont understand what the issue is.

2 minutes ago, willman said:

You're terminology not mine - i have no issue with people getting a deal. I had a package via Expedia when Monarch went tits up Expedia didn't cover full reimbursement although i got my flights reimbursed but lost the cost of the hotel in Rome i'd booked.If i'd gone on the holiday the insurance would have covered everything.

If people wanted to get a cheaper flight and didn't everything else correctly after considering the pitfalls why are they being bailed out.

As far as I'm aware they won't be bailed out if they went flight only. Its down to their insurance, credit card (if they bought the flight direct) otherwise they may may get a flight but have to pay again. The flight are mixed package deal and flight only. 

1 minute ago, Obelix said:

They are not being bailed out. Whilst those words are mine above it is exactly how you are coming across.

Being brought home at no cost to yourself is being bailed out. ATOL covered holiday makers according to the Minister for transport would be brought home exactly as they would as per their holiday. Non ATOL covered would be funded by the Govt and CAA.

1 minute ago, Obelix said:

Thing is, those without ATOL cover wont definitly be coming back on the repatriation flights, so I really dont understand what the issue is.

They may be but paying. Why would someone bring back a part full plane when they can fill it with fare paying passengers? 

ATOL protection generally only covers tourists who buy package deals. It also applies to some flight-only bookings, particularly when the tickets are not received immediately.    But if you bought a flight directly with an airline it is unlikely you will be covered. 

Under normal circumstances, passengers who are not ATOL protected would be asked to find, and pay for, their own way home

But in this case, the DfT said everyone on a Thomas Cook holiday with a return flight to the UK within the two weeks will be brought home free of charge, whether they are Atol protected or not and regardless of their nationality

5 minutes ago, willman said:

I understand in principle but the point made on BBC this morning was those booking package deals with TC had ATOL protection included,those with flights only didn't however they had booked the flights.

Yes, as I said, you can't have ATOL protected flight only with TC recently. It used to be until a few years ago. You can't choose. You book the flight at your own risk.  We have booked flights and risked it.  We know we are covered by our credit card and the accommodation is ours, we own it so should there be any delays its not the end of the world for us, we wouldn't be out on the street abroad, we would be in our own apartment. 

6 minutes ago, willman said:

Being brought home at no cost to yourself is being bailed out. ATOL covered holiday makers according to the Minister for transport would be brought home exactly as they would as per their holiday. Non ATOL covered would be funded by the Govt and CAA.

On the same flights where the seats would be empty no doubt.. so there will be little cost.

So we are back again as to why you are being so vindictive about it. These people paid. The company went bust. The Govt, whose first and ultimate goal is to protect the people that give it legitamacy is protecting those people. So what really is the problem?

Just now, Chez2 said:

Yes, as I said, you can't have ATOL protected flight only with TC recently. It used to be until a few years ago. You can't choose. You book the flight at your own risk.  We have booked flights and risked it.  We know we are covered by our credit card and the accommodation is ours, we own it so should there be any delays its not the end of the world for us, we wouldn't be out on the street abroad, we would be in our own apartment. 

My point entirely - you knew exactly what you were doing and were willing to accept the consequences. There are thousands who may have benefitted from cheaper flight deals and not paying insurance and are now bleating because their free flights home aren't dropping them off where and when they want.

Just now, Obelix said:

On the same flights where the seats would be empty no doubt.. so there will be little cost.

So we are back again as to why you are being so vindictive about it. These people paid. The company went bust. The Govt, whose first and ultimate goal is to protect the people that give it legitamacy is protecting those people. So what really is the problem?

I'm not being vindictive i'm being honest -  a TC plane does cheap flights in the otherwise empty seats, and there is little cost you claim but theyr'e still losing money.

My problem is people should be protecting themselves not the Government,talk about the nanny state bail out at every opportunity.

I guess then we should just get rid of all the things that a Govt provides and turn it into an insurance company...?

I still dont understand what your issue with these flights is. Do you really think we should leave that many people overseas? To organise such and effort is way beyond the capacity of any existing airline - it needs the Govt to set up what is a large airline, overnight, in order to do this.

15 minutes ago, Obelix said:

I guess then we should just get rid of all the things that a Govt provides and turn it into an insurance company...?

I still dont understand what your issue with these flights is. Do you really think we should leave that many people overseas? To organise such and effort is way beyond the capacity of any existing airline - it needs the Govt to set up what is a large airline, overnight, in order to do this.

No.

But i don't have to be happy about bailing them out of what for many is their own mess?

I mean seriously who books flights for 19 people and a wedding reception in Vegas without insurance cover.

1 minute ago, willman said:

No.

But i don't have to be happy about bailing them out of what for many is their own mess?

I mean seriously who books flights for 19 people and a wedding reception in Vegas without insurance cover.

Insurers don't usually cover the collapse of a company, so its not generally possible to get travel insurance for this:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/#insurance

(though apparently it is possible to get if you pay a premium, I doubt many people bother with that).

6 minutes ago, willman said:

No.

If it was a reception and flights thats a package deal and it's covered....