Penistone Road Retail Development

3 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Hopefully the development will require the installation of a set of traffic lights. There isnt enough along that stretch..

:D:thumbsup::P...Very frustrating isn't it..!

Here's a fab old clip....It includes Penistone road BEFORE all the Lights.!

SKIP to around the 19 mins mark...Where they come onto the A61 at Tankersley.

Past High Green and through Grenoside.

When they enter 'Dee Dar land'....:thumbsup::D

3 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Hopefully the development will require the installation of a set of traffic lights. There isnt enough along that stretch..

hahaha brill

On 24/09/2019 at 19:10, FinBak said:

:D:thumbsup::P...Very frustrating isn't it..!

Here's a fab old clip....It includes Penistone road BEFORE all the Lights.!

SKIP to around the 19 mins mark...Where they come onto the A61 at Tankersley.

Past High Green and through Grenoside.

When they enter 'Dee Dar land'....:thumbsup::D

i would say that film was mid 60s.

If you freeze at about 3.37, it looks like a C registered car ('65?), maybe an A35 van or similar.

But interesting, few dodgy overtakes though!

22 minutes ago, FORE said:

i would say that film was mid 60s.

If you freeze at about 3.37, it looks like a C registered car ('65?), maybe an A35 van or similar.

But interesting, few dodgy overtakes though!

I would also say mid 60's...Yes that's an Austin A35 van.

You have to laugh at some of the 'Overtakes'... It appears some of them drivers were in a rush doesn't it..!!

Edited by FinBak

Filmed on a motorbike perhaps??

Given the speed an all that, not many cars back in the day were so swift.

This was great  -thanks for posting. 

Watched from 19 minutes and was amazed by how little most of the A61 had changed. Was completely lost after they passed Hillsborough, though.

At the beginning they are setting out in a Wolseley 16/60. Pity it's only in 480 res, but you can just make out the petrol pumps where Lidl now is, and a brief glimpse of the hacksaw factory which stood on Wednesday's car park.

Finally a decision has been made, not the best use of that particular piece of land sure but at least some investment in this very run down area. I suppose whilst ever we rely totally on development by the private sector we have to accept the best they offer.  

I thought i would resurrect this thread as for some reason it seems to be getting joined up with the lidl at malin bridge.

To me they are very separate conversations each with  their own debate with there own issues.

Also you can never get tired of that video  :thumbsup:

Edited by Arthur Ritus

8 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Also you can never get tired of that video  :thumbsup:

So true!

Can anyone decipher the route after Hillsborough park into the city centre? Do they continue on the current A61 or divert  off somewhere? Sme of the buildings towards the end look vaguely familiar, but I'm really struggling to place them.....

1 hour ago, bluecanary said:

So true!

Can anyone decipher the route after Hillsborough park into the city centre? Do they continue on the current A61 or divert  off somewhere? Sme of the buildings towards the end look vaguely familiar, but I'm really struggling to place them.....

The route has stayed pretty much the same other than where Old Penistone Rd diverts past the Toyota dealer and rejoins at the traffic lights near Hillfoot Bridge and also a couple of places towards Shalesmoor where you can see bits of the old road.  It's basically the buildings that have changed and obviously the dual carriageway

Edited by Lancs_Lad

3 hours ago, Lancs_Lad said:

The route has stayed pretty much the same other than where Old Penistone Rd diverts past the Toyota dealer and rejoins at the traffic lights near Hillfoot Bridge and also a couple of places towards Shalesmoor where you can see bits of the old road.  It's basically the buildings that have changed and obviously the dual carriageway

Thanks Lancs_Lad. Has changed beond all recognition now with demolition of the buildings for the creation of the dual carriageway.

On 26/09/2019 at 10:39, geared said:

Filmed on a motorbike perhaps??

Given the speed an all that, not many cars back in the day were so swift.

ah I just watched this and thought some crazy overtaking,

but I didn't consider on a bike.

(if it said so I missed it, I had sound off)

really interesting film though!