Walkley Wine On Walkley Lane

Does anyone know what is happening with Walkley Wine on the junction of Walkley Lane and Kirkstone Road? It has been there months but has yet to open. I keep popping down on the hope that it's open but it is always shuttered.

They've obviously put some effort and money into it but it won't be recouped if it's never open.

Seems an odd place to open a wine shop - I think even an ordinary off licence would struggle there.

3 hours ago, taxman said:

Does anyone know what is happening with Walkley Wine on the junction of Walkley Lane and Kirkstone Road? It has been there months but has yet to open. I keep popping down on the hope that it's open but it is always shuttered.

They've obviously put some effort and money into it but it won't be recouped if it's never open.

I believe that the opening was delayed due to trouble or delay with getting a licence from the council, however that is sorted and it will be opening in Oct. 

Is it going to be a wine bar/micropub type of thing? 

Guest makapaka
57 minutes ago, Bilge said:

No - think it’s just a beer off.

im surprised because they tend to struggle these days but best of look to them.

On 21/09/2019 at 07:48, Bilge said:

It's advertising itself as a bit of an upmarket wine/beer off with tastings and the like.

It'll be a huge dissappointment after this wait if they're just going to be selling off old bottles of Owd Tyke

This has fallen through and the shop is up for sale again.

20 minutes ago, taxman said:

This has fallen through and the shop is up for sale again.

I was at the bus stop opposite last weekend, and did wonder what was happening this shop.

Live very closeby, and I think I've been here 10 times or so in 20 years!

On 22/09/2019 at 16:33, taxman said:

It's advertising itself as a bit of an upmarket wine/beer off with tastings and the like.

It'll be a huge dissappointment after this wait if they're just going to be selling off old bottles of Owd Tyke

I've not got to the end of this thread yet - but I am thinking, why on earth would anyone open an upmarket wine/beer off in that area?  Sorry if that sounds snobbish, but I do not think it's a great idea tbh.  Ranmoor, Fulwood, Dore, maybe even Crosspool - but Walkley?  I just cannot see that being a good idea at all.  

And before anyone jumps on this - I don't think there's anything wrong at all with Walkley as an area - but it's a fact that there are some parts of the city where "upmarket" and "expensive" are likely to fare better than others.  That's the point I'm making.

Edited by DerbyTup

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I've not got to the end of this thread yet - but I am thinking, why on earth would anyone open an upmarket wine/beer off in that area?  Sorry if that sounds snobbish, but I do not think it's a great idea tbh.  Ranmoor, Fulwood, Dore, maybe even Crosspool - but Walkley?  I just cannot see that being a good idea at all.  

And before anyone jumps on this - I don't think there's anything wrong at all with Walkley as an area - but it's a fact that there are some parts of the city where "upmarket" and "expensive" are likely to fare better than others.  That's the point I'm making.

What is your definition of an upmarket beer off and which of the dram shop and Walkley beer company don’t meet that requirement and why?

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I would say Aesthete in Walkley is quite upmarket (£5.60 for some scrambled eggs, £6 for porridge). 

It seems to be doing very well.