Copying Catch-22 To My Dvd From My Tv Recorder/Player

I have the George Clooney version of Catch-22 recorded on my tv recorder/player and I want to copy it to a DVD. The player can do this but the only DVD that I have is a DVD-R by Signalex, with 4.7 GB. It is 8X in speed. Is this disc suitable? I once tried to copy some software to it on my pc and it wasn't suitable because it was apparently Double Density, whatever that means.  I know that DVDs are not expensive and I could buy some of them but for my edification I'd like to first know about the one I've got. Reviews of this disc on Signalex's web page are mixed. Is it suitable?

Edited by woolyhead

Ive reported this thread and requested it be moved to the computer forum.

Some clever bods on there and youll probably get way more answers for this type of question.

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

HD or standard definition?

Sorry, I don't know. Where will it be quoted?

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

HD or standard definition?

This. You need to know how big the files are. Recorded from normal broadcast TV in HD they are about 2Gb per episode. If you recorded them in SD they would be smaller or if via Virgin or Sky, where the compression ratios might be different, they might be different sizes.

Thanks for that info ref HD or normal. I'll look up the recording and find out what version it came in, HD or Normal. If in HD then I could only get two episodes on my disc. Is that correct? I don't have Virgin or Sky and I've never heard of SD but thanks for the info. 

3 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

Thanks for that info ref HD or normal. I'll look up the recording and find out what version it came in, HD or Normal. If in HD then I could only get two episodes on my disc. Is that correct? I don't have Virgin or Sky and I've never heard of SD but thanks for the info. 

SD is standard definition - i.e. not HD.

That about 2Gb figure is the raw, over the air, figure. It's possible your recorder processed the files to make them smaller. You'll need to check to get the exact figures.

Can’t be arsed to the the math as different formats use different compression methods but basically the answer to your original question is no, one disc will not record the whole series.

If the series (6 x 1 hour episodes) is in standard definition, you will need 2 x 4.7 Gb DVDs, with three episodes per disc.

If the series is in high definition, you will need 6 x 4.7 Gb DVDs, with one episode per disc.

Thanks again everyone and Top Hats Cat. I looked up my recordings but the info isn't available so far as I can see.  Also I couldn't easily find out whether my recorder processes the video a lot so as to reduce the size. It looks to me as if I need to buy a stack of DVDs to cover the case where I need 6X4.7 DVDs or else get DVDs with a lot more GB per disc. That's no problem. I just needed to get an idea about this in case my present DVD might have  been good enough. It looks like it's not likely to be.  I appreciate the help and I've learned some useful things. Thanks.

Edited by woolyhead

AM Note:Closing and Locking this thread as discussion about piracy in any form is against forum Rules:

Copying from TV to a DVD is a grey area in piracy, and so to be safe I have locked the thread...

Edited by Ghozer