Nicknames For Older People That Lived Or Lived Near You?

Did you either have nicknames for people that use to live near you when you were a kid.?

Our neighbour was called Bill Archer who we called Dan Archer from the radio show.

Most recently we have little man and wobbly wobbly woman.

At one of the forms I worked was a chap that was responsible for all the industrial diamonds for the machines. He was called Diamond Jim Smith.

Union Shop steward Brian Pickford was called Lurch.

Living on my road is Eric Clapton, Captain Hook,  Banana man and Woman in Bed. Dread to think what they call us 😂

Mrs Pumpbag and Old Mrs Spivey

Back in the day we had Hopalong, the milkman.  Mrs Revill was Cat Woman, Apologies to her Grandson who posts on here.

Nowadays on or near us are cat woman again, ever luscious, upside down head man. 

This reminds me of that movie Married To The Mob . There is a character in the film nickknamed Johnny Cucumber, in one scene, a dumb type of  mobster asks another how he got that nickname. The other guy answers in a straight face, "Take a wild guess":hihi:

Edited by Ontarian1981

Old people near me when I was young were Humpty Dumpty  an old man who could only walk a very short distance without sitting on somebody’s wall. Major Watson fancied himself as a soldier. Jane we had Upside down head too, big bushy red/grey beard and bald head.

My mum and dad used to call a couple who walked regularly up and down the “eight foot “ - remember those? - next to our house “ nibble and plink”. I haven’t the foggiest where that came from. Hope it’s not rude 🤭

We had a neighbor at the bottom of our garden on the Arbourthorne who took great pride in his garden.  Us kids were always going over to retrieve our balls. He was a miserable old soul, and if he was outside he'd keep the balls. Grandma always referred to him as Silam Case, so that's how we knew him. So we'd keep asking him, Mr. Case, can we have our ball back please?

Turns out she was calling him an "asylum case"! No wonder he wasn't very happy with us. lol

Edited by trastrick

Our local "Cat Woman" - I think she had six - was known as Pussy Galore...

Why do people with the second name Clarke get called Nobby.

I know quiet a few Nobby Clarkes but still don't  know  why they get this nick name.

1 hour ago, jaffa1 said:

Why do people with the second name Clarke get called Nobby.

I know quiet a few Nobby Clarkes but still don't  know  why they get this nick name.

This is the Brewer's Dictionary entry:

Nobby Clarke is the British Army name for every man of the name of Clarke. It originated in the dressy or "nobby" turnout affected by clerks and other blackcoat workers in the early 19th century.

Spoiler

Edited by hillsbro

On 18/09/2019 at 23:19, desy said:

Union Shop steward Brian Pickford was called Lurch.

When I worked at Slag Reduction in Stocksbridge, the driver, who resembled Lurch, was known as "You Rang".