Jump to content

Should air rifles be registered?

Recommended Posts

On 24/09/2019 at 10:08, alchresearch said:

If you Google if an air gun is a firearm, the top result - The Sun - says:

 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7895837/air-gun-law-uk-licence-safety-requirements/

Yeah because the Sun is never wrong mmm?

 

On 19/09/2019 at 10:40, ANGELFIRE1 said:

 

 

An air rifle over the statutory 12ft lbs limit has to be held on a FAC ticket now. A sub 12ft lb is ok for plinking, tin can shooting, although some shoot rabbit and also rat with them. Accuracy is required to do this humanly.  A .50 cal big bore 700 ft lbs air rifle can be used for hunting Cape Buffalo in Africa, this .50 cal is the opposite end of the scale to our 12 ft lb max rifle.

 

Want to check your units as there is no way you want to be going after a Cape B with that low a power...

5kJ is more like it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Obelix said:

An air rifle over the statutory 12ft lbs limit has to be held on a FAC ticket now. A sub 12ft lb is ok for plinking, tin can shooting, although some shoot rabbit and also rat with them. Accuracy is required to do this humanly. .50 cal big bore 700 ft lbs air rifle can be used for hunting Cape Buffalo in Africa, this .50 cal is the opposite end of the scale to our 12 ft lb max rifle.

 

 

Want to check your units as there is no way you want to be going after a Cape B with that low a power...

5kJ is more like it...

 

 

 

Moving up in power
Dennis Quackenbush makes big bores up into the 500 foot-pound category, and one .72-caliber monster he built topped 1,000 foot-pounds. Gary Barnes also makes powerful big bores in the 400-1,000 foot-pound class. Both of these makers are backordered most of the time, so you will have to wait anywhere from one to four years for one of their guns. 

 

A little out of date now but relevant to my post, 

"" Fort Smith, Arkansas (January 17th, 2018) – Umarex USA has officially announced the introduction of the Umarex Hammer™, the American-made .50 caliber air rifle that has become the most powerful production airgun on the planet.

The sheer energy and three full-power shots delivered by the .50 caliber Umarex Hammer™ is achieved by its proprietary, patent-pending, Lightspeed™valve. The innovative engineering used to design this internal mechanism coupled with a .50 caliber, 550 grain lead slug is responsible for the generation of its 705 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Almost as impressive, it only takes two pounds of effort to operate its straight-pull bolt. Thi sshort, effortless, two-inch action is all it takes to **** the rifle and advance the magazine.  ""

 

2018 Season: Ep 4 - Air Rifle Hunting Cape Buffalo

This Week on The High Road with Keith Warren, Keith heads on an air gun African Safari for "Black Death," known as the Cape Buffalo . Keith makes hunting history as he takes this massive beast with a .50 cal big bore air rifle.

 

I think my initial post re the .50 cal figures are near enough correct.

 

Angel1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Obelix said:

Yeah because the Sun is never wrong mmm?

That was kinda my point, people Googling and using that reference, rather than the more trusted one on Wikipedia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

 

 

 

Moving up in power
Dennis Quackenbush makes big bores up into the 500 foot-pound category, and one .72-caliber monster he built topped 1,000 foot-pounds. Gary Barnes also makes powerful big bores in the 400-1,000 foot-pound class. Both of these makers are backordered most of the time, so you will have to wait anywhere from one to four years for one of their guns. 

 

A little out of date now but relevant to my post, 

"" Fort Smith, Arkansas (January 17th, 2018) – Umarex USA has officially announced the introduction of the Umarex Hammer™, the American-made .50 caliber air rifle that has become the most powerful production airgun on the planet.

The sheer energy and three full-power shots delivered by the .50 caliber Umarex Hammer™ is achieved by its proprietary, patent-pending, Lightspeed™valve. The innovative engineering used to design this internal mechanism coupled with a .50 caliber, 550 grain lead slug is responsible for the generation of its 705 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Almost as impressive, it only takes two pounds of effort to operate its straight-pull bolt. Thi sshort, effortless, two-inch action is all it takes to **** the rifle and advance the magazine.  ""

 

2018 Season: Ep 4 - Air Rifle Hunting Cape Buffalo

This Week on The High Road with Keith Warren, Keith heads on an air gun African Safari for "Black Death," known as the Cape Buffalo . Keith makes hunting history as he takes this massive beast with a .50 cal big bore air rifle.

 

I think my initial post re the .50 cal figures are near enough correct.

 

Angel1.

705 ftlb is not something to hunt Cape buffalo with. Where authorities quote minimum energy figures they are talking about 4 to five times that power. IF you really want to hunt something as large as a Cape buffalo with a popgun like that knock yourself out - I'd prefer an H&H .375 with a bit more velocity than a subsonic round.

8 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

That was kinda my point, people Googling and using that reference, rather than the more trusted one on Wikipedia.

Sorry I might not have made it clear that I was agreeing with you. I'd not trust the Stun to act as reliable bog roll myself let alone a legal reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2019 at 09:44, Obelix said:

705 ftlb is not something to hunt Cape buffalo with. Where authorities quote minimum energy figures they are talking about 4 to five times that power. IF you really want to hunt something as large as a Cape buffalo with a popgun like that knock yourself out - I'd prefer an H&H .375 with a bit more velocity than a subsonic round.

 

It's not me who hunts with a .50 air gun, just pointing out it is done. Had a few shots with a Mate's .500 nitro express, awesome. He has shot the big 5 over several safaris, so I suppose the .500 suits his purpose. While I have shot deer over many years (and eaten them) I can't get my head around shooting Elephant, Lion, Tiger and the like to be honest. I do know it's stupid daft money to shoot them.

 

Angel1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.