Should Social Media Have A Higher Minimum Age?

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

That’s a bad thing because........?

Less subscribers = lower advertising revenue = less profit.

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Just watched the Jesy Nelson doc on the BBC and while I personally can’t understand why on earth anyone would be upset by what some anonymous idiot on the internet says about them, I do realise it does do enormous damage.

What are the age restrictions for social media?

I saw a bit of this interview on the BBC Breakfast news the other day & I thought along similar lines.  Apparently some individuals were telling her she was unattractive compared to her fellow band members.   

All I could think was while such comments might hurt, (refuse to use such terms as traumatised; these should only be applied to those fighting in theatres of war or following a serious accident, etc), your average 11 to 15 year old, we're talking about a grown woman here who should be above such nonsense at her age. 

All she has to do is ignore the comments.  In fact she aught to twist it around & boast to he tormentors about her extravagant, rich lifestyle. 

8 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

All she has to do is ignore the comments.  In fact she aught to twist it around & boast to he tormentors about her extravagant, rich lifestyle. 

Not always easy, as her management insisted that all the Mixs engage with social media. And twisting it around by boasting about having a rich lifestyle could easily backfire with a media backlash and the likes of that vile creature Katie Hopkins joining in the campaign against her..

30 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Less subscribers = lower advertising revenue = less profit.

Fewer subscribers... 

But yes I think the draw of social media for a lot of people is predicated on the fact that they can get validated by others. If the ability to like was removed, it would lose its draw for a lot of people. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not always easy, as her management insisted that all the Mixs engage with social media. And twisting it around by boasting about having a rich lifestyle could easily backfire with a media backlash and the likes of that vile creature Katie Hopkins joining in the campaign against her..

Works for some. I remember football pundit, Robbie Savage getting a slating from some on social media.  His reaction was to announce that give serious consideration to what had been sent to him by those sat alone in their bedsits as he made his way home from his £100k job, in his £200k super car, to his beautiful wife & kids waiting in his £3 million house in the countryside. 

Treated it all as a joke, people laughed with him & started to turn on his detractors on social media.  

Most of its down to jealousy. 

My social media is basically SF, mostly due to it being local & the info you can pick up on here, especially from the local Sheffield section.  I don't FB or Snapchat, What's App etc although my wife does. 

If people only realised that behind all the 'It's a great way to keep in touch' blurb, is the fact that most of the social media sites are simply mining you for your personal details & people are giving them free range to do so as part of the companies T&C's. 

Could you imagine walking up to a parent in the street & asking for their 13 year olds personal details?  Yet parents are happy in most cases to let social media sites do it because, "Well all his friends are on it, aren't they." 

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Is there a facebook junior then? I know a ton of 9, 10, 11ish year old kids who are on their facebooks all the time.

It's pretty much unenforceable unfortunately, so yeah lots of younger children are on there.

Saw another discussion a out the problems of social media / cyber-bullying this morning on BBC Breakfast News.  Apparently there are now calls for it to be addressed as part of the National Curriculum in schools.

One young woman was being interviewed & told how she was bullied on line but she had no idea that the social media came with filters that could have prevented such individuals from contacting her.   

Nobdy mentioned in the interview that clearly that such filters are already obviously in place to be used, (I know because my wife uses them on her social media accounts), but of course if you can't be bothered to read up on them who's fault is that?

Of course nobody also mentioned in the interview that she could have simply switched the whole thing off! 

Edited by Baron99