Should Social Media Have A Higher Minimum Age?

Kids are being seriously damaged by the poor use of social media. Should the age at which they use it be such that they can be prosecuted as adults for the damage they cause others?

With all the problems at the moment it should be be banned without adult supervision  until the age of eighteen. Society started going down hill in the 1980s when everyone had to win, no losers; kids wrapped in cotton wool, no resilience taught. 

Just watched the Jesy Nelson doc on the BBC and while I personally can’t understand why on earth anyone would be upset by what some anonymous idiot on the internet says about them, I do realise it does do enormous damage.

What are the age restrictions for social media?

How do you police such a law at a time when parents are buying their kids smartphones at a really young age? This is something that has to start in the home, and today's parents have to learn how to say NO to their little darlings demanding this and that.Teenagers will rebel against parental control locks on their phones and only the  strictest of parents will win that battle.From what I have seen, there are not too many parents around like that these days.

Unless there is a universal age restriction, which providers will never agree to, it’s a real problem. I’ve spoken to my son and grandchild re this and both acknowledge the problems but also identify how kids without access are bullied and ostracised 

20 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Social media reform could start by removing the “like” button. 

Wouldn’t that stop a lot of younger people from using it?

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Wouldn’t that stop a lot of younger people from using it?

That’s a bad thing because........?

Edited by Albert the Cat

14 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Just watched the Jesy Nelson doc on the BBC and while I personally can’t understand why on earth anyone would be upset by what some anonymous idiot on the internet says about them, I do realise it does do enormous damage.

What are the age restrictions for social media?

Usually 13 which I do think is a little young really.

I think the problem for kids is not being able to get away from bullying, it doesn't stop when they go home from school now - it can be 24/7 via social media.  Poor kids.

I saw an advert the other day (for Barnardos or similar I think) where bullies were depicted as hyenas circling around a girl wherever she went, it was quite hard hitting.

Edited by vwkittie

33 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

Usually 13 which I do think is a little young really.

Is there a facebook junior then? I know a ton of 9, 10, 11ish year old kids who are on their facebooks all the time.

I think 13 is too young as well as kids are still developing emotionally and react too instinctively without thinking. 

The age should be increased to 16 and parents will have the responsibility of maintaining that or face consequences themselves.