Palm Pub On Palm Street

Went in there a few times with the lovely old interior, before it was gutted by the last owners and finally closed :(

There must be something we can do to stop owners with their oh so superior design preference (which nearly always involves making a pub look like an exhibition room for a Laura Ashley catalogue or an abandoned warehouse) vandalising what should really be protected assets.

Some of these pubs have fixtures and fittings that are works of art, fine craftsmanship. Unless you get Grade listing you can't do a thing if some chump comes along and wants to rip the place down and stuff it full of crappy oversized print wallpaper and union jack cushions.

The Palm Tree was previously owned by Punch Taverns, which is now part of Heineken's Star Bars company, and leased out to local operators who had to pay rent to the pub company, buy their stock etc from the pub company and have their refurbishments organised by the pub company. It failed, closed and the pub company put it on the market.

It looks like the owners of Loxley Brewery have bought the pub freehold and are investing in a significant  refurbishment. They are also changing the name of the pub to 'The Raven'. The Raven's Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/The-Raven-Inn-120328409364150 and there has been the odd update on the Wisewood Inn and Loxley Brewery pages.

Incidentally, if you are interested in Sheffield pubs with surviving heritage interiors there is a CAMRA book listing all the known examples that you can download for free - https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/rhp

Edited by Andy C

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

The Palm Tree was previously owned by Punch Taverns, which is now part of Heineken's Star Bars company, and leased out to local operators who had to pay rent to the pub company, buy their stock etc from the pub company and have their refurbishments organised by the pub company. It failed, closed and the pub company put it on the market.

It looks like the owners of Loxley Brewery have bought the pub freehold and are investing in a significant  refurbishment. They are also changing the name of the pub to 'The Raven'. The Raven's Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/The-Raven-Inn-120328409364150 and there has been the odd update on the Wisewood Inn and Loxley Brewery pages.

Good to see the Palm getting some investment - but why "The Raven"?  Crows are pretty common in the area - ravens aren't. Even the bird on their logo is far more like a crow than a raven - but I suppose "The Crow" has been taken by the former Crown on Scotland Street

The Palm was a pretty unique and distinctive name.

The Raven will always be associated for many of us with the pub on Fitzwilliam Street that became the Hornblower.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Longcol said:

Good to see the Palm getting some investment - but why "The Raven"?  Crows are pretty common in the area - ravens aren't. Even the bird on their logo is far more like a crow than a raven - but I suppose "The Crow" has been taken by the former Crown on Scotland Street

The Raven will always be associated for many of us with the pub on Fitzwilliam Street that became the Hornblower.

Agree - the name change was a strange idea.

5 hours ago, Andy C said:

Incidentally, if you are interested in Sheffield pubs with surviving heritage interiors there is a CAMRA book listing all the known examples that you can download for free - https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/rhp

Has the Loxley Brewery any connections to the Bradfield Brewery?

15 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Has the Loxley Brewery any connections to the Bradfield Brewery?

No, Totally separate entities 

Loxley Brewery is located underneath the Wisewood Inn. It's only small.

Lucky there's no ale pubs named on a corvid theme already. Oh, wait... It's a shame there's so few words in the English language that they've been forced to hijack somebody else's idea. Or, you know, keep the name they already had...

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, SteelCityAle said:

Lucky there's no ale pubs named on a corvid theme already. Oh, wait... It's a shame there's so few words in the English language that they've been forced to hijack somebody else's idea. Or, you know, keep the name they already had...

The palm tree was a great name - there isn’t another one - and it’s on palm street. 

I thought maybe they were going to give it a Walkley reference - the Walkley Inn to go with the Wisewood Inn maybe.

dont get the relevance of the raven at all. 

anyway - don’t want to be negative - I’m hoping the venue makes up for it - looking forward to it opening.

25 minutes ago, makapaka said:

The palm tree was a great name - there isn’t another one - and it’s on palm street. 

I thought maybe they were going to give it a Walkley reference - the Walkley Inn to go with the Wisewood Inn maybe.

dont get the relevance of the raven at all. 

anyway - don’t want to be negative - I’m hoping the venue makes up for it - looking forward to it opening.

Mistaken identity?  Plenty crows down Loxley at the back of the Wisewood Inn.

Hope it's open when I'm back in Sheffield at Christmas. Suppose it's slightly better than renaming it the Royal Oak.

On 03/11/2019 at 14:51, Longcol said:

Agree about the name change.  It's just like when members of the Everley Pregnant Brothers took over the 'Ye Olde Shakespeare Inn' at Heeley & have tried to change the name over time to the 'Brother's Arms.'  Only the students & hipsters, call it by this name. 

Most still call it 'The Shakey' & luckily the name will endure as it's in the brickwork.  https://images.app.goo.gl/ELmsMBiAu3nKWd7u8

Don't like the changing of pub names for no apparent reason.   For many, pubs are used as landmarks to get around a city & it's also a bit of social history.  I like the fact I can still drink in a few pubs in the city that my long gone forebears drank in. 

Edited by Baron99

Well they've just updated their facebook page, containing some pictures of the new interior;

https://www.facebook.com/The-Raven-Inn-120328409364150

In keeping with the theme of "no connection with the area whatsoever" the wall lights and main ceiling light are shaped like ...................antlers.

Presumably next we'll have horse brasses behind the bar and ships in bottles on available flat surfaces.

Edited by Longcol