Palm Pub On Palm Street

Well, it opens on Friday - those of you who like literary quotes plastered over the walls (along with the previously mentioned antlers) should feel at home.

https://www.rmcmedia.co.uk/vibe/food-and-drink/article/Quoth-the-Raven?fbclid=IwAR0uEu7Lbg_PYYQhzHBGiM0Uib55o0dco2n6lzg-KuMPqmkrPn-6NHDtQgE

Pity they got the Shakespeare quote wrong................................................

(The Winter's Tale, Act IV, Scene II)

I'm planning on being there for the opening. It's on my way home and might make a good addition to the pubs in Walkley.

Popped in at 4. There was already a queue and an hour later it was relatively busy.

6 casks - 3 Loxley and 3 guest, plus 8 on draft including Beavertown, Abbeydale, Thornbridge and St. Mars of the Desert.

There is also lager for those who want it.

Quite a few people were drinking gin.

I'm not a huge fan of the Loxley beers but I'm sure I'll be popping in again and it makes a useful addition to the Walkley beer scene - another place to go for pre-meal drinks midweek.

Guest makapaka

Bit boring tho?

Edited by makapaka

Must admit I am not keen on the Loxley range on beers either. I had high hopes for them but they seem bland to me and not very moreish.

The Loxley is a strange pub for me, I prefer it in the warm summer months and like the outdoor part, interior wise the novelty has worn off with me now. However the food is still v good the couple of times we have been.

Not a pub I'd spend ages in, but a stop off for a pint or 2 at the most.

So, I doubt I'll be rushing to the 'Raven' ? is it called? Are they doing food here btw?

Edited by sheffandy

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, sheffandy said:

Must admit I am not keen on the Loxley range on beers either. I had high hopes for them but they seem bland to me and not very moreish.

The Loxley is a strange pub for me, I prefer it in the warm summer months and like the outdoor part, interior wise the novelty has worn off with me now. However the food is still v good the couple of times we have been.

Not a pub I'd spend ages in, but a stop off for a pint or 2 at the most.

So, I doubt I'll be rushing to the 'Raven' ? is it called? Are they doing food here btw?

The loxley is the old yew tree isn’t it?

do you mean the wisewood?

don’t think the raven is doing food. I’ve been in - it’s ok - zero character tho - just two nicely decorated rooms with a bar you can’t really sit at.

glad it’s stayed open as a pub but bit disappointed 

15 hours ago, makapaka said:

The loxley is the old yew tree isn’t it?

do you mean the wisewood?

don’t think the raven is doing food. I’ve been in - it’s ok - zero character tho - just two nicely decorated rooms with a bar you can’t really sit at.

glad it’s stayed open as a pub but bit disappointed 

Oh yes my bad.  Apologies.

IMHO the Raven is a great newcomer to the improving Walkley offer.  For a start it complements the Blind Monkey just down the road - it's a similarly small and friendly pub with great beer, but whilst the Monkey is gloriously crammed full of original Art Deco fittings the Raven is minimalist.   And it seems to be doing great business.  Such a shame True North couldn't make the Walkley Library conversion work, Walkley would be even better - maybe the people who resisted the Library's renewal could rethink?  

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, BurtBackcrak said:

IMHO the Raven is a great newcomer to the improving Walkley offer.  For a start it complements the Blind Monkey just down the road - it's a similarly small and friendly pub with great beer, but whilst the Monkey is gloriously crammed full of original Art Deco fittings the Raven is minimalist.   And it seems to be doing great business.  Such a shame True North couldn't make the Walkley Library conversion work, Walkley would be even better - maybe the people who resisted the Library's renewal could rethink?  

Nothing against the raven but the loss of the palm (as was) is tragic. 

a true local gone and replaced with a very well decorated beer shop.

Yeh, but the Palm (as was) was awful.  Crap beer, zero atmosphere, cold, damp and lacking in any character.

The refurb might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's better than the black palm and flamingo silhouettes that were painted on the walls before...

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, JMinSheff said:

Yeh, but the Palm (as was) was awful.  Crap beer, zero atmosphere, cold, damp and lacking in any character.

The refurb might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's better than the black palm and flamingo silhouettes that were painted on the walls before...

Don’t agree. I can’t comment on your personal taste in beer but it was full of character and had nice regulars.

theres no doubt it was an old building and Was in need of some renovation but it was still well kept and never dirty.

certainly not cold either!!

Edited by makapaka

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Don’t agree. I can’t comment on your personal taste in beer but it was full of character and had nice regulars.

theres no doubt it was an old building and Was in need of some renovation but it was still well kept and never dirty.

certainly not cold either!!

What beers did they have on?