Can Anybody Advise On A Problem With Mobile Phone?

I have a samsung s8 and if the battery gets to 55% it drains and shuts down within 5 minutes. Its very annoying and been like that a while. Can anybody suggest what the problem is? 

9 minutes ago, JIGGYSAW said:

I have a samsung s8 and if the battery gets to 55% it drains and shuts down within 5 minutes. Its very annoying and been like that a while. Can anybody suggest what the problem is? 

If it’s anything like an iPhone it sounds as if the battery needs re-calibrating. This will mean running the battery down to nothing and when I say nothing I mean emptying it by repeatedly switching it on every time it dies and using things like playing music or turning on the torch to speed up discharge. When it is completely empty you need to charge it up until it reaches 100% then leave it on charge for a few hours more. You need to repeat this process two or three times and then the battery meter should read 100% when full and 1% just before it dies.

Thanks hat. Phone was only 18 months old when this started. Really disappointing.

14 hours ago, JIGGYSAW said:

I have a samsung s8 and if the battery gets to 55% it drains and shuts down within 5 minutes.

OMG,better to change a new battery or new mobile phone.

1 minute ago, clamrosefinch said:

Most mobile phones do this after a while. 

1 hour ago, clamrosefinch said:

A bit drastic when the tips mentioned above have a very good chance of sorting the problem.

The part about repeating the process is certainly one to note. 

replace it, re-calibrating or whatever wont work, as modern batteries Li-Po or Li-Ion have almost no memory effect, (as opposed to older rechargeable batteries)

its likely that the battery has degraded and needs replacing..

One thing i would try though, back up all your photos etc, and reset the phone, it could be some software draining it (though not as likely)

1 minute ago, Ghozer said:

replace it, re-calibrating or whatever wont work, as modern batteries Li-Po or Li-Ion have almost no memory effect, (as opposed to older rechargeable batteries)

It is not  the battery which is being recalibrated, it is the software which produces the battery state of charge indication, by redefining the ‘full’ and ‘empty’ points which become lost after time. 

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is not  the battery which is being recalibrated, it is the software which produces the battery state of charge indication, by redefining the ‘full’ and ‘empty’ points which become lost after time. 

Sorry no, modern phones/batteries don't need to be 'calibrated' or even re-calibrated' etc - it's a falsity.... 

One of the MANY articles on the subject... 

Android phones use lithium-ion (Li-ion) or lithium-polymer (Li-po) batteries. Such batteries don’t need to be fully discharged, and come with smart chips that make calibration unnecessary.

Battery calibration is a remnant of older nickel-based batteries (usually nickel-cadmium batteries) that were used widely in laptops till a few years ago. Here are the facts.

Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/battery-calibration-for-android/

Just google it, there's 100's of links about it, all saying it's not needed/wont make a difference etc....

Edited by Ghozer

My iPhone battery is Li-ion Polymer and I’ve definitely had to recalibrate it a couple of times.

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

My iPhone battery is Li-ion Polymer and I’ve definitely had to recalibrate it a couple of times.

Nope, you probably think you have recalibrated it, but done nothing tbh.... Li-Ion / Li-Po do NOT  have a 'memory effect' and do not need recalibrating, purely due to the physics and chemistry of the batteries..... regardless of what you think you did... that's not what happened....

2 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Nope, you probably think you have recalibrated it, but done nothing tbh.... Li-Ion / Li-Po do NOT  have a 'memory effect' and do not need recalibrating, purely due to the physics and chemistry of the batteries..... regardless of what you think you did... that's not what happened....

I think you are still missing the point. It is not the battery which is being recalibrated it is the phone.