Geoffrey Boycott Awarded a Knighthood.

3 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

It's difficult to reason with TopCatsHat.  

Yes, I’ve noticed that you struggle! 😀

4 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

It's difficult to reason with TopCatsHat.  I did say that the controversy would be justified if the conviction had been recent, but TopCatsHat chose not to reply.

For most people, a conviction adversely affects the rest of their lives. In some cases it prevents employment again ever.

Boycott has got off lightly by being allowed to travel the world boring everyone rigid about his mother’s pinny. And sticks of rhubarb.

He doesn’t deserve a knighthood. What he did besmirches the award.

The important thing to remember; when it comes to getting 'honoured', it's not your character that counts, it's your achievements.

15 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

For most people, a conviction adversely affects the rest of their lives. In some cases it prevents employment again ever.

Boycott has got off lightly by being allowed to travel the world boring everyone rigid about his mother’s pinny. And sticks of rhubarb.

He doesn’t deserve a knighthood. What he did besmirches the award.

You're clearly not a fan of Sir Geoffrey Boycott and your prejudice against him makes you in capable of making a rational judgement whether he deserves his knighthood.

The people listening to Sir Geoffrey Boycott's  words in the commentary box are not bored with him otherwise his innings wouldn't have lasted as long as it has and he still wouldn't be not out.

18 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes, I’ve noticed that you struggle! 😀

I'm not the only one who struggles to reason with you. 

Edited by Lockdoctor

6 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You're clearly not a fan of Sir Geoffrey Boycott and your prejudice against him makes you in capable of making a rational judgement whether he deserves his knighthood.

That’s nonsense.

I’m not a fan of Gary Glitter but that doesn’t make me incapable of making a rational judgement that he shouldn’t be knighted for services to mid-70’s pop music.

4 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The people listening to Sir Geoffrey Boycott's  words in the commentary box are not bored with him otherwise his innings wouldn't have lasted as long as it has and he still wouldn't be not out.

I’ve met Boycott on several occasions. That includes having a net with him. He was a bit better than me.

I’ve plenty of respect for his playing ability His personality and his commentary style leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

His domestic abuse conviction should disqualify him from any state honours. It is also time to remove him from the TMS team.

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The important thing to remember; when it comes to getting 'honoured', it's not your character that counts, it's your achievements.

Plenty of people have had honours removed when it became apparent that their behaviour was not suited to the award.

47 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Agreed, but with so many deserving causes and a limited number of honours to hand out,  why choose to give one to Boycott when you could give it to an equally deserving cause without the baggage?

Having said that, the whole honours system is a nonsense and the idea of a disgraced former Prime Minister nominating people to sit in the House of Lords who get to vote on our legislation in 2019, is appalling.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Agreed, but with so many deserving causes and a limited number of honours to hand out,  why choose to give one to Boycott when you could give it to an equally deserving cause without the baggage?

Having said that, the whole honours system is a nonsense and the idea of a disgraced former Prime Minister nominating people to sit in the House of Lords who get to vote on our legislation in 2019, is appalling.

How is Theresa May a disgraced former Prime Minister?     Theresa May failed to implement Brexit, but that doesn't make her a disgraced former Prime Minister to anyone reasonable.

I agree there is an argument against a Prime Minister nominating people for honours once their time in office is nearly over.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I’ve met Boycott on several occasions. That includes having a net with him. He was a bit better than me.

I’ve plenty of respect for his playing ability His personality and his commentary style leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

His domestic abuse conviction should disqualify him from any state honours. It is also time to remove him from the TMS team.

Plenty of people have had honours removed when it became apparent that their behaviour was not suited to the award.

I don't mind his commentary, he's not always right and can be needlessly abrasive. I'm aware of some of his work for the MCC and YCC but I'm not sure any of it is worthy of a knighthood. He spends most of his time talking about cricket and staying in some nice hotels around the world. It's not like he's pulling out children from a burning orphanage.

He could, of course, be a willing stooge - happy to yell out something controversial - whilst we ignore the fact The terrible twins got CBEs.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Oh yeah, the whole honours system is bunkum in my opinion. It's essentially a device to cement the percieved authority of those dishing them out. For anyone wanting to give me an honour, they'd first have to prove their own worthyness to bestow one; a task at which. they would no doubt fail. Honour is intrinsic to an individual, and a reflection of their inner most thoughts and deeds. It's not something you can bestow. Complete sham if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

How is Theresa May a disgraced former Prime Minister?     

In exactly the same way that David Cameron is as a disgraced former Prime Minister, forced to resign after putting the interests of their party before those of the nation.

15 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In exactly the same way that David Cameron is as a disgraced former Prime Minister, forced to resign after putting the interests of their party before those of the nation.

Most reasonable people don't see either David Cameron or Theresa May as disgraced former Prime Ministers.   The only recent former Prime Minister who has had allegations of dishonesty labelled at him is Tony Blair.

Edited by Lockdoctor