Morrisons Penistone Road, no fuel prices on signs

I notice that recently Morrisons have stopped advertising the price of fuel on the signs on Penistone Road. Is this because it is more expensive than at the other Morrisons stores in Sheffield and they are embarrassed ?

Doubtful, are you really going to drive down to Catcliffe to save 1p/litre on petrol?

15 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

I notice that recently Morrisons have stopped advertising the price of fuel on the signs on Penistone Road. Is this because it is more expensive than at the other Morrisons stores in Sheffield and they are embarrassed ?

I’m not exactly sure that that is how things work. 😂

i have always thought that petrol prices are governed(by the owners) by, how many petrol stations there are within a certain distance from you.  

18 minutes ago, kidley said:

by, how many petrol stations there are within a certain distance from you.  

I’m not sure it’s a simple as proximity.

As you drive into Hoyland Common from the Chapeltown end there is a Shell garage. Half a mile on as you drive out of Hoyland Common on the same road there is a Jet garage that is usually 3-4p a litre dearer. There never seems to be any less business for the Jet than the Shell.

I think a lot of people don’t care. A good friend of mine was really struggling a couple of years back and as she needed her car for work I offered her my Costco card to fill up once a month on the Parkway. She wasn't even aware that petrol prices varied from one garage to another! 😵

5 hours ago, amnicoll said:

How long have they been doing this?Petrol stations have to display their prices legally IIRC. If it's not been that long then the sign is probably broken.

Edited by Colin Foster

11 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

How long have they been doing this?Petrol stations have to display their prices legally IIRC. If it's not been that long then the sign is probably broken.

Only have to be shown on the pumps themselves 

More than 1p a litre and yes i may not drive to Catcliffe just  to fill up BUT in the past I would often stop at Morrisons on Peninstone road to fill up as on the whole it tended to be competitive on the way home whereas now I will stop elsewhere knowing it is cheaper such as last week at the sainsburys at meadowhall (yes I subscribe to  one of the price comparison sites so I have an idea of prices and can look at what prices are on my route

For some reason petrol and diesel are always 3-4p a litre cheaper over towards Crystal Peaks or down on Archer Road than in Hillsborough - we always seem to get a raw deal at our end of town.

On 10/09/2019 at 15:48, amnicoll said:

How many signs are there on Penistone Road? I thought only the one by Macdonalds. This sign used to be for Morrisons only, but for some time now it has been shared across several businesses in the Barracks, and so there's no room to display fuel prices. Prices are still displayed outside the station.

I know and subscribe to petrol price.com which is how I became aware that the Morrison's on Penistone Road was become uncompetitve and no I do not need to go out of my way to save a few pence simply to be aware where there are good value stations in the vicinity of where I am traveling when I need to fill up.

I am not sure how Morrisons justify a 2 or 3p price differential in the same city apart from "competitor pricing " and it may be pure co-incidence they no longer adverting to passing traffic their prices and i am more than happy to use any brand to fill up