Novacene ?

4 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

The earlier comment about sending human DNA into deep space curated by robots, for replication in other habitable planets, bears no feasible scientific reality. 

Who said anything about it being reality now. It is on par with the same situation that Novacene is and that is one of of guesswork as none of that is feasible yet either. As stated for such to happen would require a giant leap in technology above what we are capable of now but it does not rule out that it is not possible.

4 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

Some of the notions written here are too ridiculous even for someone with the shakiest understanding of Physics and Biology. I suggest some science classes.

The problem here is you seem to suggest that science and physics is static and cannot change due to further understanding or information that is not present at the moment. It has changed many times in the past and will change again.

BTW what is your opinion of Novacene?

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

Who said anything about it being reality now. It is on par with the same situation that Novacene is and that is one of of guesswork as none of that is feasible yet either. As stated for such to happen would require a giant leap in technology above what we are capable of now but it does not rule out that it is not possible.

The problem here is you seem to suggest that science and physics is static and cannot change due to further understanding or information that is not present at the moment. It has changed many times in the past and will change again.

You may have noticed that, whilst what you say is true, the changes in our understanding of physics are ever more incremental and refined. There might be a few more total paradigm shifts like the heliocentric model, or special relativity, but they're not going to enable us to transcend what are already well understood and well tested axioms.

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

BTW what is your opinion of Novacene?

Now exactly what kind of work will these Cyborgs be undertaking?

Will they be the :Binmen,the Post Person, the Bus Driver ,the Butcher,the Baker,the Candlestick Maker ? Just what kind of economic paradigm will enable Lovelock's Cyborgs to come to pass? Will they be the wage slaves of the future?

The driving force for technological change is economic-you just have to read Marx to know that. Lovelock doesn't address the economic factors that need to be present,or to precede the emergence  of  Cyborg world. Is humanity doomed to be dominated by a class of super intelligent Cyborgs. We can't all have surgery and implants on the NHS.

Just look at Lovelock's politics,he's part of this lot.

Quote:

"Movement, cults, commerce and globalization. At the centre is a radical technophilia that finds representative expression in posthumanism, an Internet-based social movement driven by an extreme scientific utopianism."

Source:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10350330220130368

Edited by petemcewan

8 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Quote:

"Movement, cults, commerce and globalization. At the centre is a radical technophilia that finds representative expression in posthumanism, an Internet-based social movement driven by an extreme scientific utopianism."

Source:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10350330220130368

Pity that is not easily available as I would love to know what is says about teleportation.

Apelike,

I do apologise.

I subscribe to the site in the link. They do charge for access to their articles. I included it so people could follow it up if they wished to subscribe. And in addition ,so it is clear that I'm not making it up.

4 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Apelike,

I do apologise.

I subscribe to the site in the link. They do charge for access to their articles. I included it so people could follow it up if they wished to subscribe. And in addition ,so it is clear that I'm not making it up.

No worries at all. I was wondering when it comes to teleportation if Heisenberg is ever mentioned.

4 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Thanks for that, very interesting read. No mention of a "Heisenberg Compensator" then!  :)

Edited by apelike

On 10/09/2019 at 23:14, apelike said:

Just how many 16G USB sticks would be needed for an AI to replicate the brain,

About 1/3 based on the people I have interacted with in the past week.