Novacene ?

1 hour ago, muddycoffee said:

Most People have a false sense of how impossible sending humans to another planet is.

Basically it would take decades to reach the edge of our solar system with the fastest man made craft ever built. Getting to a suitable planet at another star would take thousands of years and we will all be long gone by then.

If it were possible to send humans for a trip that would take 10 years, they would probably not make it due to personal mental torture and possibly radiation poisoning. Humans would definitely deteriorate physically for long periods in space away from Earth.

Now that is where robots could play a part.

If a way was found to use DNA to build a human or just simply put a human into suspended animation then it could be possible to send that DNA or human on a voyage to another planet. Robots could then be used to create a human from that DNA or look after the ones in suspended animation till they reach the destination so they can use that DNA. Maybe, just maybe that's already been done... :)

1 hour ago, muddycoffee said:

Most People have a false sense of how impossible sending humans to another planet is.

Basically it would take decades to reach the edge of our solar system with the fastest man made craft ever built. Getting to a suitable planet at another star would take thousands of years and we will all be long gone by then.

If it were possible to send humans for a trip that would take 10 years, they would probably not make it due to personal mental torture and possibly radiation poisoning. Humans would definitely deteriorate physically for long periods in space away from Earth.

Yeah this ^.

Earth is it.

Setting off for new Earth, after leaving a mess here, is a pernicious fantasy.

Edited by Phanerothyme

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

If a way was found to use DNA to build a human or just simply put a human into suspended animation then it could be possible to send that DNA or human on a voyage to another planet. 

The human body is incredibly frail so I can’t see why anyone would ever bother their arse wrapping one up in cotton wool and sending it long distances into space.

I suspect the future will be sentient beings amalgamated with technology which will be both intelligent and robust. Think Terminator, but with an actual human brain and consciousness.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The human body is incredibly frail so I can’t see why anyone would ever bother their arse wrapping one up in cotton wool and sending it long distances into space.

One of the reasons I also put DNA.

I agree (bold) but it has evolved and so far survived on this planet for many hundreds of thousands of years because it has multiplied successfully and become more intelligent at the same time. It has one vital thing that is important over anything else needed to replace it and that is it is very energy efficient. It has been calculated that the average adult uses around 120W of energy per day and the brain on its own around 25W. Try building a robot that can mimic a humans behaviour, can self repair from minor injuries sustained and at the same time be as energy efficient.

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Try building a robot that can mimic a humans behaviour, can self repair from minor injuries sustained and at the same time be as energy efficient.

I agree with you that the human being is a remarkable invention but ‘to boldly go where no man has gone before’, we need to be way more resilient.

A pin hole in a space suit and an astronaut’s blood will boil within seconds.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A pin hole in a space suit and an astronaut’s blood will boil within seconds.

That only applies if the astronaut is out in open space and not on board a craft designed to have its own habitation free from the confines of a space suit.

12 hours ago, apelike said:

One of the reasons I also put DNA.

I agree (bold) but it has evolved and so far survived on this planet for many hundreds of thousands of years because it has multiplied successfully and become more intelligent at the same time. It has one vital thing that is important over anything else needed to replace it and that is it is very energy efficient. It has been calculated that the average adult uses around 120W of energy per day and the brain on its own around 25W. Try building a robot that can mimic a humans behaviour, can self repair from minor injuries sustained and at the same time be as energy efficient.

On a point of pedantry, energy is not measured in Watts.....but I know what you mean.

Here's a question, why are talking about colonising the moon / mars / space, when we can't even colonise Yorkshire? plenty of towns struggle to attract incomers.

Let's consider the semi-made-up town of Shedsley:

Shedsley is a fantastic town, with a rich heritage, wonderful people, plenty of opportunities to get involved and enjoy yourself. I really like Shedsley. It's infinitely more interesting than a barren, dead planet. No-one moves to Shedsley.

The first people to 'colonise' mars are going to have a very dull time of it, surviving 2 years in a locked shipping container will just be part of the selection process. And that's just to simulate getting to mars, when they eventually get there, they won't be allowed out to walk around - that will be too much risk to the mission. And they're never coming back. Who's in?

Edited by ads36

55 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

On a point of pedantry, energy is not measured in Watts.....but I know what you mean.

Yep my mistake and as an ex-electrician I should have known that.....What I did was convert the average intake of kilocalories to watts to arrive at that figure.

Edited by apelike

21 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The first people to 'colonise' mars are going to have a very dull time of it, surviving 2 years in a locked shipping container will just be part of the selection process. And that's just to simulate getting to mars, when they eventually get there, they won't be allowed out to walk around - that will be too much risk to the mission. And they're never coming back. Who's in?

As with the past pioneers that went into space and on to the moon I think you will find plenty that are willing to take the risk.

Well, good for them.

The selection process includes a mere 2 years locked in a shipping container, with 5 other people, with nothing to drink but their own filtered wee.  

That should be easy for someone serious about colonising mars.

Edited by ads36

17 hours ago, apelike said:

I agree (bold) but it has evolved and so far survived on this planet for many hundreds of thousands of years because it has multiplied successfully and become more intelligent at the same time.

There is very little evidence that Humans have become more intelligent over time, indeed there are contemporary findings that Neanderthals may have been capable of higher intelligence than humans as their average brain capacity by volume ratio to bodyweight is thought to be higher than modern humans. The advances you see around you are more to do with our current (and temporary) long peaceful climate on this planet allowing mankind to develop complex technology and culture.

The earlier comment about sending human DNA into deep space curated by robots, for replication in other habitable planets, bears no feasible scientific reality. We can't even replicate Dinosaurs or extinct Dodo birds on our own planet.

Some of the notions written here are too ridiculous even for someone with the shakiest understanding of Physics and Biology. I suggest some science classes.