Novacene ?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is being re-invented as we speak in many parallel developments, one or more of which will become the standard technology of the future. 👍 

But that is about on par with reinventing the way we get energy as at the moment is is all theory and no substance. If there was any major breakthrough then it would have been widely publicised by now so its fair to say that any one of them may become the standard technology of the future and not will.

23 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not true. They have already developed a process for grinding up moondust, heating and pressurising it to plasticise it so that buildings can be 3D printed with it.

This will be done within the next decade. 🌘👍

Hmmm cant eat moondust though.  Yea I saw that Matt Damon film. Sure it may be possible to sustain a few people on the moon but who would volunteer to go live there whilst life on earth is still possible? Humans will soon be too busy just trying to survive on this planet not concerning themselves with trying to colonise others. Nobody makes a conscious effort to sustain the species- I mean who cares about the species? We care about ourselves and our loved ones and maybe even all other humans alive, but not the maintenance of the species.

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Hmmm cant eat moondust though.  

No but you can grow stuff in it!

People won’t be going to the moon for a holiday, they will be going there for scientific research and maybe even to mine rare elements believed to be in the moon’s crust.

21 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No but you can grow stuff in it!

People won’t be going to the moon for a holiday, they will be going there for scientific research and maybe even to mine rare elements believed to be in the moon’s crust.

If the technology exists to grind moon dust to use in 3D printers, why has nobody sought to analyse said moon dust?

If they had done so, there would be no “believed to be” as regards the rare elements.

Which elements are you thinking of, anyway?

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

If the technology exists to grind moon dust to use in 3D printers, why has nobody sought to analyse said moon dust?

They have analysed it to death. That is how they know that if you heat it and subject it to extreme temperature it plasticises and can be used as an unlimited supply of raw material for a moonbase.

I was thinking about stuff that you find in mobile phones that are running out on earth like gallium, indium, niobium, tantalum, scandium and yttrium.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They have analysed it to death. That is how they know that if you heat it and subject it to extreme temperature it plasticises and can be used as an unlimited supply of raw material for a moonbase.

I was thinking about stuff that you find in mobile phones that are running out on earth like gallium, indium, niobium, tantalum, scandium and yttrium.

So, if they’ve analysed it to death, they will know if those elements are present. Won’t they?

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Trouble is they may have analysed real moon dust but they never used real moon dust for the 3D printing experiment but a fake. A specially created simulated regolith which is a type of fine ceramic powder.

Edited by apelike

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Who on ‘earth’ would bring fake moon dust back from the moon? 😵

Let me just state this again.. The 3D printing experiment did not use moon dust!

Here you go..

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/11/20/lunar-regolith-moon-dust-3d-printing/#.XXlvTShKgtg

Edited by apelike
added link

14 minutes ago, apelike said:

The 3D printing experiment did not use moon dust!

I didn’t say that they did. 

I said that an analysis of moon dust had shown them what as possible. The experiments used synthetic moon dust. Fake moon dust is something masquerading as moon dust.

17 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The experiments used synthetic moon dust. Fake moon dust is something masquerading as moon dust.

No it used simulated moon dust which is made to be the same composition and has the same characteristics as moon dust and is hardy distinguishable from the real deal, so fake is a more accurate description. Synthetic does not apply to it as it is formed from the same natural chemical compounds found on Earth and not something made by using compounds made by a separate chemical process, AKA Synthetic.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 17:07, lil-minx92 said:

Planet earth is dying at an exponential rate and the human race will die out long before we have the ability to colonise other planets ...

Most People have a false sense of how impossible sending humans to another planet is.

Basically it would take decades to reach the edge of our solar system with the fastest man made craft ever built. Getting to a suitable planet at another star would take thousands of years and we will all be long gone by then.

If it were possible to send humans for a trip that would take 10 years, they would probably not make it due to personal mental torture and possibly radiation poisoning. Humans would definitely deteriorate physically for long periods in space away from Earth.