Blue Badge Use/Rules

As someone eligible for a blue badge (I chose not to apply as I manage my disability enough to walk unaided) , blue badges and spaces should be limited to those that physically cannot get about without aid. 

These new inclusions will only further the rampant abuse of the scheme. 

11 minutes ago, Resident said:

As someone eligible for a blue badge (I chose not to apply as I manage my disability enough to walk unaided) , blue badges and spaces should be limited to those that physically cannot get about without aid. 

These new inclusions will only further the rampant abus abusede of the scheme. 

Yes you are quite right blue badges are vastly abused and its about time it was stopped think a 

law has come in abusers can get a £1000 fine about time the wardens / courts did a few send out a message. Good on on you to manage without a badge but there are genuine cases out there

Quote spider1:

With new blue badge laws coming in and the demand for spaces set to soar are sheff council ignoring gov law for council to increase spaces.

The demand will soar now, particularly as people with mental health problems are being given blue badges. Designated spaces are wider than normal to accommodate physically disabled people, particularly wheelchair users. That is why the logo is a wheelchair. People with mental health issues may not need this facility if they are fully ambulant. Unfortunately, there is no separation between the two and it will mean that those of us who care for wheelchair users and need the wider spaces will really struggle. 

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

Yes you are quite right blue badges are vastly abused and its about time it was stopped think a 

law has come in abusers can get a £1000 fine about time the wardens / courts did a few send out a message. 

Sheffield Council have been prosecuting blue badge abusers in court for some time now. There are regular court cases and reports in the press.

Worth remembering that misusing a blue badge is a criminal matter and cases come to magistrates court. With a maximum fine of £1000, plus costs and a penalty charge notice, offenders will be faced with a very large bill and having a criminal record (that they might have to explain to their employer, which might impact on their continued employment) 

21 hours ago, spider1 said:

Prime example Northumberland road near charles clifford dental hospital '

The part of the road about 500 mtrs long had single yellow lines and allowed blue badge holders to park .

Just guessing, but there is a new, very large construction site (new university building) on the old university playing fields off Northumberland Rd. It is often necessary to introduce new waiting restrictions around large construction sites, so that deliveries can safely be made. It might be something to do with this.

Edited by Planner1

21 hours ago, spider1 said:

With new blue badge laws coming in and the demand for spaces set to soar are sheff council ignoring gov law for council to increase spaces.

A yellow line isn't a disabled parking space though, is it? Blue badge holders just get an exemption to use them where no loading restrictions are in place. The Council only normally apply the loading restriction where it's necessary for safety and traffic management purposes.

Blue badge holders can also use Council pay and display parking spaces on and off street for free, so there are actually quite a few spaces available to badge holders around the hospitals (although demand is of course high).

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

A yellow line isn't a disabled parking space though, is it? Blue badge holders just get an exemption to use them where no loading restrictions are in place. The Council only normally apply the loading restriction where it's necessary for safety and traffic management purposes.

Blue badge holders can also use Council pay and display parking spaces on and off street for free, so there are actually quite a few spaces available to badge holders around the hospitals (although demand is of course high).

Hi been in touch with disability rights who are aware of the issue and going to have a chat next about  next step. Had a phone call from howden house which was comcal but gave me name of man making decions so things will come to a head. 

@Jomie

Disabled parking spaces are not just wider, they tend to be nearer to  facilities and shops etc than normal parking spaces are. Many people who don`t use a wheelchair still struggle to walk.

3 hours ago, spider1 said:

Hi been in touch with disability rights who are aware of the issue and going to have a chat next about  next step. Had a phone call from howden house which was comcal but gave me name of man making decions so things will come to a head. 

The Council listed the reasons for introducing the restrictions as:

• Road is too narrow to have carriageway parking on north east side
  • Footway parking  causes difficulties for pedestrians (blue badge holders apparently tended to park part on the footway) 
  • Large vehicles frequently egress from Wellesley Road and parking opposite the junction causes obstruction

The traffic regulation order was advertised as required in 2018 and people had the opportunity to object.

The reasons stated are safety and traffic  management related, so are valid reasons for introducing a restriction. Blue badge holders have plenty of other locations they can park in the area as they can park for free on pay and display bays, so there doesn't appear to be a disproportionate impact on people with disabilities.

As the Council will have told you, you can make a formal complaint, which they will respond to.

You might also raise a complaint with the hospitals as they don't appear to offer much dedicated disabled parking off street.

the hallamshire hospital is terrible for disabled parking,then if you can get in the car park indoors you have to pay,but many times theres is no parking at all,the other problem is the moor market,outside the market theres no reason for not having some disabled spaces instead of yellow lines with lips on so no one can park,no thought has this council for the disabled,its needs a change of councillors to sort it or a closer election that always makes them think,the trouble is like most things the roads were not built for modern traffic,including many estates.

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

the other problem is the moor market,outside the market theres no reason for not having some disabled spaces instead of yellow lines with lips on so no one can park,no thought has this council for the disabled,

I think you will find that most blue badge holders who want to go to the Moor Market park on Earl Way, which is very convenient for the side entrance and offers a variety of  free parking for blue badge holders, including yellow lines that don't have loading restrictions. There's also a multi storey car park right next to the market for those who don't mind paying.

There are also several disabled bays on Rockingham Gate, which isn't far away on the opposite side of the Moor.

Edited by Planner1

what you tend to find is badge holders go 2 hours early to get a space so then they parked a lot longer than normal,all the spaces have gone behind the Hallamshire at the back entrance ,a accident waiting to happen every day lorries just back out nobody on the road guiding traffic ,I nearly got crushed in my car if I hadn't blasted my horn the lorry driver came out at such a speed.     the northern gen is the best place for parking .Hallamshire shocking

Hi, does anyone know the rules for blue badge holders to  park in the  open air   council car parks behind West St that go down to the old Grosvenor Hotel site. I know most of the rules, but this one foxes me.