Sign in to follow this  

10gbase-T Advice

I'm thinking of upgrading my LAN to 10G and wondered if anyone on here has done it.

When I moved into my new place I laid CAT7 cable into the rooms, so, that should all be ok. As it's a bit new to me, the hardware in the systems and switching/routing hardware seems very random. I know it's going to cost a good few quid but I'm OK with that. The new system I'm planning to build has 10G onboard (X570) but I'll still need another 3 NICs and at least one switch.

So the first questions are:-

Have you installed it?

Which hardware did you go for?

Thanks

not played with 10G myself, but have watched tonnes of YT vids..

the LTT (Linus Tech Tips) one is a good one, though 3 or 4 years old now....

and the Craft Computing one is good for a budget ;)

I think I've found the Craft Computing you mention, titled "AFFORDABLE In Home 10GbE Networking" 

I'll have a watch later

Thanks

Excellent link Ghozer,

A few clicks on amazon and a slight overkill on the hardware, it all came out under £500. It seems the bottleneck would be the NVMe drives, or more so the clunkies that still live in my NAS!

I was impressed that the main device can run either RouterOS or SwitchOS and comes in at just over £120. I did run some multi mode too but only into 2 rooms so it's time to have a good think on the final build. I might just do a test build to start, that would be just over £200 for the hardware.

Here's the link if anyone else is thinking about 10G LAN (not sure how to post video links properly)

Youtube Link

Edited by zach