Sign in to follow this  

Mapped Drives - Windows 10

I put the title as Windows 10 but it could be other versions.

It's more of a niggle than a major problem but I noticed a while ago that an old issue had come back, mapped drives not connecting at start up followed by the annoying message to tell you they aren't connected. They will connect eventually but as I use them all the time, I didn't want to wait. I know there's nothing wrong on the network or any of the IP addressing so I decided to look on Google. It seems that MS are on with a fix...and have been for a long time!

The (temp) fix I use was a a short command and PowerShell script that took about 5 minutes to do,  it's explained in full here

I used method 1 in the link and they are all working at login now.

It's been a while since I use windows shared drives (not used them at all since Windows 10 tbh) but I know with Windows 7, there was some 'reconnect mapped drive delay' setting in the registry (can't for the life of me remember where) - you could adjust this and tweak...

there was also an option for 'reconnect on access' or something, even though it was set to reconnect on logon, (means it would only reconnect it the first time you attempted to access it)

I'll try and find the info / links and let you know....

Cheers mate,

As I said, it's more of a niggle but sods law says that they won't connect when you want them. I'll not hold my breath for MS to fix it but the ps script seems to sort it, and it's just as quick to remove it. I will get round to building a "real" file server at some point 😀

Edited by zach