Why Are My 8 Gb Flash Drives Now Showing 63.8 Mb

I have just unsuccessfully tried using two Kingston 8GB flash drives to install 64 bit and then 32 bit a copy of the Cloudready operating system onto to an old Samsung NC10 laptop.
The problem I hit is that it was installing the USA version of the keyboard and not showing a method of swiching to the UK version.
After I gave up trying to install the OS I formatted both flash drives to clean them out (and there is nothing showing in them) but instead of getting the 8GB back they both show a capacity of only 63.8MB and this only what they will accept.
Anyone know how to get the 8GB back.

Thanks

Edited by alankearn

I’m no expert but it sounds like in all the shenanigans, you have somehow altered the partitions on your USB stick which has left the bulk of your space ‘unallocated’. To fix his you need to re-partition your USB stick. When you do this you need to save any data already on the stick as the reformatting process is destructive.

I’m afraid you will need a Windows user for that info as I have had Macs for donkeys.

If I remember rightly, you need to look for something like diskpart in your Start Menu and then use the command clean but like I said, I don’t really know.

Lots of Widows users on her who I’m sure can help. 👍

Right click on the two actual partitions on that drive, it'll leave you with one big empty block, right click, create new partition and you can create one the full size :) Off the top of my head...

When you're in disk manager

Right click on the other partitions (in blue) and delete

When it shows all black (unallocated) Right click and create new.

You can use diskpart from cmd or powershell but be very careful when you select the drive, it is very unforgiving.

As above, open a command prompt or powershell and type in...

diskpart

select disk X  (X being the drive number) in your case disk 1

clean

initialise the drive and create a new partition,

And once again... DO NOT get the drive number wrong,

Flash drive problem solved using Partition Manager.
Thanks to you all for your advice/help