Jack Fultons Crookes

Guest makapaka
On 22/09/2019 at 00:04, Colin Foster said:

I find Waitrose is much better quality to be honest.

Aye - whenever I walk round jack Fulton’s I often think “this isn’t really the same as Waitrose “ 🙄

On 14/09/2019 at 00:20, catmiss said:

I grew up before best before and use by dates and follow my mum’s example of using my eyes and nose to identify what’s ok to eat and cook properly-never had food poisoning so must be doing something right or else growing up in ignorance gave me good immunity 😀

Me too

Sadly, my eyes and nose let me down in 1990 when eating a tuna sandwich from C***lands.

I spent a week on the living room floor, doubled up in pain, or on the toilet, emitting liquid.

Take care out there. Food poisoning isn’t a nice thing, or even something to trivialise.

Different strokes for different folks. I like Aldi personally,  I used to be hung up on brands but other than washing powder tablets, nothing that I won't buy from Aldi, good value and good products. People are too hung up on dates on food I don't throw food out based on a date stamp. I throw it out if it's visably past its best. 

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Me too

Sadly, my eyes and nose let me down in 1990 when eating a tuna sandwich from C***lands.

I spent a week on the living room floor, doubled up in pain, or on the toilet, emitting liquid.

Take care out there. Food poisoning isn’t a nice thing, or even something to trivialise.

I’m not trying to trivialise food poisoning - of course you have to be mindful - but not paranoid either.

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’m not trying to trivialise food poisoning - of course you have to be mindful - but not paranoid either.

I know you aren’t trivialising it really.

I just thought it important to put the other side of things. Food poisoning isn’t nice.

I’m over it now, by the way. I’ll eat just about anything, regardless of sell by date. 

But the food poisoning was from a food prepared 

On 23/09/2019 at 00:41, Pettytom said:

Me too

But this was a meal prepared for you. I don’t know if this was fresh or tinned tuna, if fresh I’m sure your nose/eyes would have detected gone off food, if canned your eyes would have seen defective packaging and your nose the results! Seems this issue might have been the producer/retailer. I’ve heard that some wealthy people like Sainsbury’s because it keeps the rif raf out of Waitrose😀

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:51, jane2008 said:

I hate Jack Fultons at Firth Park it looks so dirty.  Much prefer Heron

go to the one at manor top that more dirtier than firth park

On 13/09/2019 at 18:50, taxman said:

I've just cooked and eaten something with a BBD of 2017. No problem whatsoever.

Wow!   Why would you risk it?  Although it's a rare occurrence, some of the bacteria that cause food poisoning can be deadly.   I do appreciate that "back in the day" we didn't have such things as Best Before Dates or Sell by Dates or Consume by Dates.  And I also appreciate a BBD doesn't mean the food still isn't good after that date - but 2 years after it's BBD?   I think that's asking for trouble tbh.  

On 25/09/2019 at 01:41, catmiss said:

But the food poisoning was from a food prepared 

But this was a meal prepared for you. I don’t know if this was fresh or tinned tuna, if fresh I’m sure your nose/eyes would have detected gone off food, if canned your eyes would have seen defective packaging and your nose the results! Seems this issue might have been the producer/retailer. I’ve heard that some wealthy people like Sainsbury’s because it keeps the rif raf out of Waitrose😀

This is a bit of a common misconception though...thinking that you can tell if something is off by the look or smell of it.  You can't necessarily.  

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

This is a bit of a common misconception though...thinking that you can tell if something is off by the look or smell of it.  You can't necessarily.  

It depends what it is.

With meat particularly if it looks and smells OK it will be fine, In fact if it smells a ‘little bit funny’ it is usually OK once cooked.

On 13/09/2019 at 18:50, taxman said:

I've just cooked and eaten something with a BBD of 2017. No problem whatsoever.

Wouldn't say i'm particularly paranoid about stuff like this but i wouldn't mind knowing what it was you cooked :D

8 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

It depends what it is.

With meat particularly if it looks and smells OK it will be fine, In fact if it smells a ‘little bit funny’ it is usually OK once cooked.