Wages Snatch 1970's

Can anyone recall a wages snatch from a Sheffield company in the late 1970's. The security guard was knocked out but it turned out he was part of plot. Somehow I'm thinking the company may have been Tyzacks but I could be wrong. Just trying to put a date to it .

Stanley Tools at Woodside certainly had a security van wages snatch during the late 1970's, I know because I was working there at that time. There was a large CID presence at the factory for quite a while. I don't think this case was ever solved, but if anybody knows any different I would be interested to know.

I don't suppose there would be many wages snatches in Sheffield around then. You couldn't be more specific on when it happened?

yes definately Stanley Tools, I was working there at that time in the office block across the bridge. My sister worked in the wages department, which was situated in the factory block. She passed the robbers on the stairs, who were dressed as decorators, and said good morning to them. My sister was waiting in the locked office for the security guard to come and pass the money through the hatch. They threw acid or something in the security guards face but luckily there was an on-site nurse who knew what to do and saved his eye sight. Can't remember whether they were ever caught though. Seem to recall the money they took was £70,000.

Wasn't there a payroll robbery at some firm in Ecclesfield in the 1970s ?

The robbery I'm thinking of was certainly 1978/79. I googled the stanley tools one and that was early 70's.

On 07/09/2019 at 19:23, Bucannear said:

Can anyone recall a wages snatch from a Sheffield company in the late 1970's. The security guard was knocked out but it turned out he was part of plot. Somehow I'm thinking the company may have been Tyzacks but I could be wrong. Just trying to put a date to it .

A security guard delivering wages to Stanley Tools Ltd on Rutland road, was clubbed to the ground by two men and robbed of £71,000 in cash.  The robbery occurred at 8.35am. on October 31st, 1979, as a security van made a weekly delivery.  The driver took a cash box from the van while the guard remained inside.  As he entered the building he was attacked from behind.  His  goggles were smashed, ammonia was sprayed in his eyes, and his shoulder broken with an iron bar.  His two assailants escaped in a waiting Triumph 1300.  They were pursued by a Stanley employee, who gave chase in a works van but was quickly left behind.  The escape car, stolen earlier in Leicester was found in Brunswick road.  Despite descriptions being issued and a police reconstruction of the incident, neither cash nor robbers were ever seen again.

5 hours ago, only_me said:

A security guard delivering wages to Stanley Tools Ltd on Rutland road, was clubbed to the ground by two men and robbed of £71,000 in cash.  The robbery occurred at 8.35am. on October 31st, 1979, as a security van made a weekly delivery.  The driver took a cash box from the van while the guard remained inside.  As he entered the building he was attacked from behind.  His  goggles were smashed, ammonia was sprayed in his eyes, and his shoulder broken with an iron bar.  His two assailants escaped in a waiting Triumph 1300.  They were pursued by a Stanley employee, who gave chase in a works van but was quickly left behind.  The escape car, stolen earlier in Leicester was found in Brunswick road.  Despite descriptions being issued and a police reconstruction of the incident, neither cash nor robbers were ever seen again.

Thanks, definately around this time though I must have been wrong about the security guard being implicated.

On 07/09/2019 at 19:23, Bucannear said:

There was a wage snatch at Tyzack Turner in 70/80 and the wages guard was found to be in it

1 hour ago, Re-Enactor said:

There was a wage snatch at Tyzack Turner in 70/80 and the wages guard was found to be in it

I hope someone can help with more information/date. Thanks for that Re-enactor.

The one at Tyzack Sons & Turner was early 80s. Security guard was in on it. He was pretending to be concussed but wasn't showing any signs that he was. Not long after we were paid directly into the bank. 

There was one around '69  at Cravens Homalloy  Darnall, at least one of the culprits got back in the wages line up and complained that they were late coming???