New University Students - Weekend Of 21/22 September

Early warning .

bit of a perfect storm coming for traffic chaos on week ending 21/22 September. Its new student weekend for both our Universities.  They are normally a week apart.

Also many road closures on the Sunday for the 10K.

https://www.runforall.com/events/10k/sheffield-10k/road-closure-information/

Best to avoid both Eccy road area and Broomhill 

I thought (maybe wrongly) Hallam students were moving in the previous weekend (And SHeffield United have got a home game that weekend)

Could not help notice that the council are warning us to beware of traffic congestion on 21 and 22 September because of the welcome influx of new students to the University of Sheffield. I also saw signs advising that on the 22nd September that roads would be closed and to expect congestion owing to the 10k run that morning. 

One has has to feel sorry for the parents trying to get their children to their new homes finding that Sheffield have decided to make their task even harder. One might have thought that if the expectation is of congestion due to the start of term that someone at the council might have refused permission to hold the run and suggest they find a different Sunday 

Or maybe, it's just as well to bundle it all together into 1 weekend...

The alternative is to turn most of September into a motorist moanathon.

Edited by ads36

Sheffield 10k is the same Sunday each year I think - the universities seem to be commencing their academic year later this year.

If it didn't clash with that it would clash with football fixtures of course.

Edited by Andy C

The University of Sheffield Community Liaison manager advised that SUFC asked for an away game this weekend to ensure no repeat of the 2018 chaos.

Update.  Just passing the bottom of London Rd.  The outbound section is already blocked solid with cars trying to turn left down Boston Street.  Buses are getting stuck & can't get to stop at the bus stop on London Road outside the Club House pub.  

It'll only get worse.  I'd avoid the area if you can. 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Update.  Just passing the bottom of London Rd.  The outbound section is already blocked solid with cars trying to turn left down Boston Street.  Buses are getting stuck & can't get to stop at the bus stop on London Road outside the Club House pub.  

It'll only get worse.  I'd avoid the area if you can. 

Every year it's primarily The Forge on Boston Street that brings the city to a standstill.

Those trying to turn left onto Boston Street block the filter lane from St Mary's Gate onto London Road. That then backs up and brings the Bramall Lane roundabout to a standstill, thus causing standstills on Bramall Lane and Eyre Street. Then it just backs up right down past the station and onto the Parkway, blocking other roads like Queens Road with it.

I don’t know why they don’t stagger the starting days !

Will these be the same students who were protesting about climate change yesterday ?????

53 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

Will these be the same students who were protesting about climate change yesterday ?????

No.