A 20% Sugar Tax On Cakes And Sweets Would Impact On Obesity Say Experts.

Well the experts got their way with the sugar tax on drinks now they say that a 20% tax on cakes and sweets would have a huge impact on obesity. If it happens where will the money go, companies have already reduced the sizes of a lot of sweets, items such as mars bars are nothing like the size they used to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/05/tax-on-snacks-would-have-huge-impact-on-obesity-say-experts

7 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Well the experts got their way with the sugar tax on drinks now they say that a 20% tax on cakes and sweets would have a huge impact on obesity. If it happens where will the money go, companies have already reduced the sizes of a lot of sweets, items such as mars bars are nothing like the size they used to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/05/tax-on-snacks-would-have-huge-impact-on-obesity-say-experts

Not sure it would make a huge difference. So many sweets and biscuits are heavily discounted now and the extra won’t be too noticible. I saw six chocolate covered flakes (can’t remember what they call them) the other day for £1.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not sure it would make a huge difference. So many sweets and biscuits are heavily discounted now and the extra won’t be too noticible. I saw six chocolate covered flakes (can’t remember what they call them) the other day for £1.

That may be so but those 6 have probably suffered from shrinkflation and may weigh less that 4 were a few years ago, something that Poundland normally sell.

4 hours ago, iansheff said:

Well the experts got their way with the sugar tax on drinks now they say that a 20% tax on cakes and sweets would have a huge impact on obesity.

The reason food is zero tax rated is so that the poor can afford to feed themselves, maybe if that zero rating was better targetted at healthy food the exchequer would be able to tax the poor less on their income?

Chocolate sweets and biscuits already have 20% tax on them its calle dVAT.

Admittedly not all of them but enough ofthem to realise it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Edited by willman

I think with drinks sugar tax, they should have to label clearly on the front what **** they've put in it to replace it.

18 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

It's just another tax making fiddle for government nothing to do with obesity lol like they taxed fags and beer and petrol they never tax anything that people don't need or like. 

I never liked work much... got taxed plenty on that!!

Joking aside, I know exactly what you mean. They seem to think that throwing a tax on things is the best way to stop it. 

If they do decide to carry through this sugar tax, the money should be used to bring down the price of fruit and vegetables in supermarkets.  There has been an increase in the price on these items over the years.

18 hours ago, apelike said:

That may be so but those 6 have probably suffered from shrinkflation and may weigh less that 4 were a few years ago, something that Poundland normally sell.

And whereas in the past you might eat one, now you eat two.  I certainly do with those shrunk down 4 Wispas you get to a £1 packet.  One isn't enough.  And it would be daft to eat half of another!

Obesity Could be tackled better if  people exercised more ,walked if the journey is less than a couple of miles etc (and your not carrying anything heavy )  one of my neighbours is overweight and drives to shops even though they are only  about 250 -300 feet away. 

How about a tax on your weight.  20% (seems a popular figure)  on every kilo over the healthy weight for your height.

20% of what I leave to you.

Raising the price of tabaco products reduced the ammont smoked, but not as much as things like patches and e-cigs.

So yes, put a tax on unhealthy products, if its practical.