Sharrow Lane School 1950s - Reunions

I spoke with David on Wednesday suggesting we created a Facebook page for ex pupils.

Fair comment from David, he wasn't keen on the idea himself,so I have created a Facebook page ' Sharrow Lane school ex pupils '

Please feel free to post sensible comments on there.

Hopefully we can reach out to more  ex pupils

A favour please if you know my name, don't broadcast it far and wide !

Finally I have a few minutes to report on the latest Sharrow Lane School Reunion held on Wednesday 26th June.  Altogether 29 former pupils and Sharrow residents turned up, the youngest aged 71 and the eldest, I think, 85. We had a terrific two hour session of exchanging memories and revelling in the atmosphere of the old Junior School Hall. 

With their permission, here is a list of those present:

(The ladies consented to using their maiden names)

Valerie Shaw; Christine France; Brian Milner; Tony Ford; Denis Anson; Mick Glossop; Jack wade; Alan Barnett; Tony Faulds MBE;  Dave Holmes; Dave Storf; Ian Brelsford; Malcolm Gladwin; Ralph Holmes; Frank Turner; keith Spooner; John Beatson; Tony Hardwick; Roger Walker; John Smith; Phil Smith; Roger Stevenson; Graham Whitham; Darrell Whitham; Pauline Mackreal; Diane Goodwin; Ronald Hibbert and myself, David France. 

It was soon agreed that there should be another reunion later this year and so it has been decided there will be a special Christmas Lunch event at 1pm on Wednesday 27th November 2019 but places MUST be pre-booked through me. A price for the lunch will be published nearer the date. Watch this space!

I do have a few photos from Wednesday which I would like to post on here but cannot find a way to do it. 

On 29/06/2019 at 12:06, DavidFrance said:

Finally I have a few minutes to report on the latest Sharrow Lane School Reunion held on Wednesday 26th June.  Altogether 29 former pupils and Sharrow residents turned up, the youngest aged 71 and the eldest, I think, 85. We had a terrific two hour session of exchanging memories and revelling in the atmosphere of the old Junior School Hall. 

With their permission, here is a list of those present:

(The ladies consented to using their maiden names)

Valerie Shaw; Christine France; Brian Milner; Tony Ford; Denis Anson; Mick Glossop; Jack wade; Alan Barnett; Tony Faulds MBE;  Dave Holmes; Dave Storf; Ian Brelsford; Malcolm Gladwin; Ralph Holmes; Frank Turner; keith Spooner; John Beatson; Tony Hardwick; Roger Walker; John Smith; Phil Smith; Roger Stevenson; Graham Whitham; Darrell Whitham; Pauline Mackreal; Diane Goodwin; Ronald Hibbert and myself, David France. 

It was soon agreed that there should be another reunion later this year and so it has been decided there will be a special Christmas Lunch event at 1pm on Wednesday 27th November 2019 but places MUST be pre-booked through me. A price for the lunch will be published nearer the date. Watch this space!

I do have a few photos from Wednesday which I would like to post on here but cannot find a way to do it. 

I reckon I am pretty computer/internet savvy but this has me beaten. I have been talking to "helpline" who say there is a way to post photos - which I cannot see -  but I have finally concluded that I am confused over which Sheffield Forum I am talking to.   I had not realised there is a "Sheffield Forum" and a Sheffield History Forum.....which does make it easy to register photos. So......please would all Sharrovians follow me on the Sheffield History Forum where I will post this piece again WITH photos?

Due to a misunderstanding over the existence of two Sheffield Forums I am now posting news of Sharrow Lane ~School reunions ONLY on Sheffield History Forum (Schools)

at https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/17559-sharrow-lane-school-reunion-2019/

Please visit tat URL to see photos etc and receive news of future reunions etc.

DF.

Details of the much-requested next reunion of pupils from  the years 1948-1958 are now available.  It will take place at noon on Wednesday 27 November in the school hall cafe.

Numbers will be strictly limited to 30 but if demand is sufficient then an additional date can be arranged.   THIS WILL BE A CHRISTMAS LUNCH EVENT with turkey, pigs in blankets and all the trimmings, and an attractive seasonal vegetarian option. A hot drink, cracker and mints is included in the price.  Dessert will be a choice of a mincemeat crumble or a chocolate pudding. One course £10.95, two courses £11.95.   A decision is yet to be made on whether to make wine available or to accept corkage.    A deposit of £5 will be required.  Closing date for the deposit will be 12 November. I am happy to arrange for table reservations for groups who notify me of numbers in advance. I will also seek permission to have music to accompany carols etc if we get a good crowd.    To participate in this event please respond to this notice as soon as possible. I will be monitoring responses. Or send me a personal message through this Forum. DO NOT SEND MONEY JUST YET!   I will give details of how this will be done in the course  of the next couple of weeks. But it is essential that, if this event is to happen and be successful, you tell all your peer group and get them to respond quickly.   I shall also be posting this notice on the Sheffield History Forum and will be contacting all those whose email addresses I already have. If you don't get an email from me it will be because I don't have your email address listed.      David France (1946-53)

Edited by DavidFrance
requesting notification of responses

Brilliant;;;;;; You have gone to a lot of trouble and I know of 6.ex pupils who would be interested but I do not know how to respond to this notice. Phone/ Email/ Cafe. Darrell Whitham (41-51).

Please see my latest posting regarding the Christmas Lunch re-union.  So far I have onoy had two responses. If there is insufficient interest it will be cancelled.

DF

At the end of September only eight people have responded positively to the Christmas Reunion notice. They have paid their deposits and are happy to continue with the event. The negative response comes  in spite of a vigorous show of hands at the last get-together in favour of it. However in view of the negative response I will play no further part in it, nor anything in the future. Sorry.  You cannot expect to have the use of the former School and, in particular, the cafe for free. I don't think the cost of the Christmas lunch was excessive considering the work involved and the disruption to normal day-to-day business. In saying this I do not include the three former pupils who contacted me to say they would like to be there but are currently receiving treatment or are experiencing serious health issues.  They WOULD have liked to be there.   If anyone reading this still wants to be a part of it they should visit the cafe and pay their £5 deposit as soon as possible.   DF

David, I got home from Spain on Sunday, and have only just seen your posts. If I had seen the original post when it appeared, there would have been another definite three attendees, Roger Walker, David Vardy and myself. Also another probable four.

I am very sorry that I missed the original post, and also can understand your disappointment at the lack of response after all the trouble you went to

Regards. TH.

Hi David. Please don't beat yourself about the lack of response, disappointing as it is.

I am sure like myself that others are more than grateful about the time and effort you have put into the organisation.

Very disappointed that I will be unable to attend, which you are aware of !

Have just found this.I would be interested in info about any further events. I was at the school from 1946 till left in 1950 for King Teds.My name is Rodney Goodfellow and my mother taught in the infant school from 1947-1962.Anyone remember either of us?