Wards Brewery Sheffield.

On 19/09/2019 at 13:11, Grappler said:

Well, as always, if anyone ever finds a beer that is similar to Wards, let us all know!

There isn't one. Well not as far as I know.!

If I could get my hands on all the original ingredients, the Malt, the Hops (Mainly).... i could muster a Brew. 

But then again...I'm not sure if the 'malt' or the 'Hops' are still produced or available..?

'Rickards Hops' and 'pauls' malt from York...

Ring any Bells?

On 22/09/2019 at 15:05, FinBak said:

There isn't one. Well not as far as I know.!

If I could get my hands on all the original ingredients, the Malt, the Hops (Mainly).... i could muster a Brew. 

But then again...I'm not sure if the 'malt' or the 'Hops' are still produced or available..?

'Rickards Hops' and 'pauls' malt from York...

Ring any Bells?

Sorry just picked this up....it would be a great thing to recreate something, but to be honest it would be impossible.

Paul's are still going, they're one of the biggest maltsters around but you would need to know which variety of barley was used (probably Maris Otter...a UK standard since the 1950's) and which type of other malts, Crystal etc.. all which have different moisture and roasting levels.

Rickards are still hop farmers producing Fuggles and East Kent Goldings ( which Ward's most probably did use) ...but the single biggest factor is yeast and the strain is probably unobtainable since the closure....add onto that that even the largest breweries find it impossible to retain the flavour of ales when moving production from one site to another...even with identical ingredients and the in depth process knowledge.

H

On 15/10/2019 at 13:10, sadbrewer said:

Sorry just picked this up....it would be a great thing to recreate something, but to be honest it would be impossible.

Paul's are still going, they're one of the biggest maltsters around but you would need to know which variety of barley was used (probably Maris Otter...a UK standard since the 1950's) and which type of other malts, Crystal etc.. all which have different moisture and roasting levels.

Rickards are still hop farmers producing Fuggles and East Kent Goldings ( which Ward's most probably did use) ...but the single biggest factor is yeast and the strain is probably unobtainable since the closure....add onto that that even the largest breweries find it impossible to retain the flavour of ales when moving production from one site to another...even with identical ingredients and the in depth process knowledge.

H

Thank you for that.  A wonderful and very knowledgeable insight form you.

(Very sad... I know what has happened kiddo...!)

Some great things have been lost...This was a Monumental loss.

We have no choice but to pick up and move on kiddo.

All the very best fella...Many regards and Thank you.

Edited by FinBak

My dad worked there from around the very early eighties until its closure in 2000.

He worked on the drays, took me many a time to work in the holidays, out delivering, always got a free bottle of pop and crisps.

We always had a good supply of cans too as the staff got heavily discounted stock.

Loved it ,when the local pub went from keg to tap ,it smelt terrible in the summer ,exhale swallow order more .clean glass  if you were lucky had a tour of the place once they had a giant kidney stone removed from a dray horse and great hospitality ,of course.