Wards Brewery Sheffield.

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

You can see the river on 'Google Earth'...Right behind the  Brewery 'Tower'..

I do not know how to show that image here.!

Wouldn't that be the  River Porter running behind Wards Brewery?

5 minutes ago, slh73 said:

You mean the blue stripe on the map here? The one thats quite clearly labelled 'Porter Brook'

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ward's+Brewery,+Ecclesall+Rd,+Sheffield+S11+8HG/@53.3722862,-1.4838935,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879827b657e5327:0xe2ec00d33245f751!8m2!3d53.3726191!4d-1.482138

The Sheaf goes nowhere near Ecclesall Road. it comes from the peak district, through Millhouses and Abbeydale, down to Heeley, and on into the City Center. The Porter Brook joins the Sheaf somewhere under Midland Station.

Fair comment...The Grist of it got the bitter of Me..!

Here's the Video again...I own all the rights.

It wont be available for long.!!

14 hours ago, FinBak said:

Actually that's a very good point....it's unlikely they would have drawn brewing water from it though as rivers were so polluted by industrial effluent and human/ animal waste in Victorian times that by the early 19th century they were building the reservoirs outside the city to provide clean town water...before Wards moved there from their original site...the rivers stayed polluted until very recently. ...it did though set me thinking.

I'm going completely off the top now, but from memory, there were a cluster of breweries in the area, Wards just near Porter Brook, one on Bramall Lane, one perhaps two now under what is now St Mary's Gate...one on the Polytechnic site, one half way down the Moor...at the other end of the city there was a string from Ladysbridge..Tennants, Gilmour's, Burton Weir, Stones etc, all on the riverside.

My guess is that they may well have used the river waters for the steam engines that powered the breweries for their milling, pumping, lifting needs. It would be interesting to map them out...unfortunately I've never worked out how to put pictures on here!!

13 hours ago, FinBak said:

Here's the Video again...I own all the rights.

It wont be available for long.!!

Thanks for the video...Unfortunately my tablet refuses to play the sound, for anyone else in the same situation, the chap with the beard who features several times, is Paul Simpson ( the last head brewer)...he came to Wards from Darley's Brewery at Thorne.

I think the chap in the hop store scene with him is Michael Wright, the Brewery MD.

1 hour ago, sadbrewer said:

Thanks for the video...Unfortunately my tablet refuses to play the sound, for anyone else in the same situation, the chap with the beard who features several times, is Paul Simpson ( the last head brewer)...he came to Wards from Darley's Brewery at Thorne.

I think the chap in the hop store scene with him is Michael Wright, the Brewery MD.

it is indeed Michael Wright

Norfolk Arms at Grenoside was noted for an excellent pint of Ward's.

2 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

the best pint of wards was in the devonshire

bang opposite the brewery

Your spot on Mick, cracking pint of Wards. Another good Wards pub was the Psalter Tavern. It was a bit off my beaten track but I always remember it being a great pint in there.

I do not own the rights to that Video...

What I meant to say was I DO NOT own the rights to that Video.

That's why if you search for this video on Youtube NOW...I't will not be available.

Apologies.

My bad.

The life and times of some Sheffield folk, are very secretive..!

On 14/09/2019 at 09:21, sadbrewer said:

PM..Me...I will supply you with a  FULL MP4 copy.

Wards was always my favourite beer. We used to go to the Shoulder O' Mutton pub in Worrall (before they did the old pub up...and ruined it). The landlord in the early 70's was a right miserable bugger but he certainly knew how to keep his beer and it was a very good pint.

Well, as always, if anyone ever finds a beer that is similar to Wards, let us all know!