Wards Brewery Sheffield.

A mate of mine worked there as a dray man his name was mick ward he’s passed away now know him for years before he went into the army in the 60s

1 hour ago, oscar2157 said:

Wards was beautiful stuff... you just had to get used to the taste......and the best way to do it ...... was to drink more.. 

And stock up on bog rolls. :nod:

5 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Don't let the bottom fall out of your world.

Drink Wards and let the world fall out of your bottom! :hihi:

Horrible stuff it was!

made you **** ;)

Wards beer was the first beer I tasted when I was11years old. There wear always 2 pop bottles on our cellar head in the 1950s.

My father had his beer allowance each day.He worked in the building maintenance department.With Tommy Anath.(Joiner) and Ron Elliot (Brick Layer) Over the years I got to know about the Wright families Michael/Gerald....Great Times, Old Fashion Times.Great Brewery.

Thank you for all your great comments. Especially from 'SadBrewer'.

Wards Sheffield Best Bitter was an acquired taste..Granted. 

It was a fine malt ale and your body did react to it. 

Once you were used to it, it was a great drink and it is sorely missed.

I actually preferred it out of the Can. !

It's a tragedy what has happened to OUR breweries.  My mum used to push me past Whitbreads near to lady's bridge, in me Pram...just to get me used to the whiff of me dad coming home from work.!!

Another name has cropped up...Re-Wards.  A Mr James Evans...He was the main brewery foreman around the 1980-1990's..?

i also think his father worked there?

Thanks again fellas.../  Ladies.

I don't know who is female here..!

(Admin...Can something be added to a persons profile showing that they are Mail or Felmale?)..

Or would that be Politically Correct... not a good idea?

Edited by FinBak

I last sank a few Wards in a pub near Crookes, near the bottom of Lydgate Lane. Great stuff. Certainly one of the best bitters I've ever drunk - and I've tried a few since 1960.

Edited by mikeG
to indicate replies notified

I remember someone on here (years ago) saying the closest drink to Wards, these days, is Banks Best Bitter from the West Midlands.

I remember about 10 years ago, a "Wards Best Bitter" being on hand pull at the Sheaf Island, bottom of Eccy Road, it wasn't real Wards, of course, it would have been the Vaux version (I think Jennings Brewery in Cumbria had the rights to make a bottled version), a decent pint, but nothing like Wards.

The old head brewer wrote to The Star years ago, when the Vaux version started appearing, explaining why you can be the best brewer in the world, follow the exact recipe,  and it won't taste like Wards.  The high sulphur content in the water that was used to make Wards is what gave it that terrible smell when it was off!, but also added to the flavour when it was well kept. 

On 08/09/2019 at 11:46, Grappler said:

I remember someone on here (years ago) saying the closest drink to Wards, these days, is Banks Best Bitter from the West Midlands.

I remember about 10 years ago, a "Wards Best Bitter" being on hand pull at the Sheaf Island, bottom of Eccy Road, it wasn't real Wards, of course, it would have been the Vaux version (I think Jennings Brewery in Cumbria had the rights to make a bottled version), a decent pint, but nothing like Wards.

The old head brewer wrote to The Star years ago, when the Vaux version started appearing, explaining why you can be the best brewer in the world, follow the exact recipe,  and it won't taste like Wards.  The high sulphur content in the water that was used to make Wards is what gave it that terrible smell when it was off!, but also added to the flavour when it was well kept. 

As far as I know Wards Brewery got their water Direct from the river Sheaf...Or used to.?

3 hours ago, FinBak said:

As far as I know Wards Brewery got their water Direct from the river Sheaf...Or used to.?

so how did they get the water from the river sheaf to the brewery then?

The first pint of Ward's I had was in the summer of 1965 in the Crinolin Bridge pub near Rotherham power station. That started my love affair with the great brew.

Edited by St Petre
Add

4 hours ago, St Petre said:

The first pint of Ward's I had was in the summer of 1965 in the Crinolin Bridge pub near Rotherham power station. That started my love affair with the great brew.

You should have tried it in the County Borough in Rotherham, I was on the toilet for a week.

On 10/09/2019 at 18:33, FinBak said:

How would that be possible, it was nowhere near the Sheaf? The only stretch of water close to it is the porter Brook, that doesn't join the Sheaf until somewhere under the railway station.