Positive Feedback From Former Mac Users Re Zorin 15

"Thanks Zorin, loaded up OS 15 to a Panasonic CF-54 and it loaded easier then Mac OS 10.6.8 used to and Zorin OS 15 is better then the Mac OS!

Lighted keyboard works and even the function keys work!

Took me awhile to figure out that I had to scroll down through the printer drivers before I found one that works, but once I did that, printing is great.

Scribus is a fantastic InDesign and GIMP is good and Darktable is good where I used to use Aperture.

Zorin OS is more simple and clean then the Mac OS, but the Mac OS did have expanding folders though, where you could just hover over a folder and a drop down menu would show the contents... so that was beyond delicious.

I can't believe the powers that be let you guys make something this good... it's kind of like a start up jet organization, all the sudden, making a better jet then the F-22, and just asking for a donation if you like it!

Also, I did the terminal command to opt out of the census... just because."    (https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14845#p65696)

"Hey, I read the forbes article, and I thought what the hell, put it on the old macbook pro and put it to use.

I put zorin os on a macbook pro mid 2015 ( fully loaded). My shock was this.

1. Everything worked out of the box. Fedora 30 does not work out of the box. OpenSuse TW, Manjaro, and so on had problems with keyboard, battery, network card. It just worked, and more importantly. It worked correctly, SMOOTH, I only changed the appearance !

2. Speed. It was fast. Then I found out why. They backported Gnome Shell 3.30 with their own tweaks. It works better than the default ubuntu 18.04.3 installs. Kernel is 5.x, they may have helped.

3. Nearly all the apps installed are cleaned up and built with integration in mind. Some are newer, backports.

So, I looked at my beast of a desktop, the one I do all my heavy work on.

I been running OpenSuse TW for a good 3-4 years. I put it on a new drive to test it out. so far its smooth. Nothing particular stands out." (https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14845#p65868)

just a shame you have to pay for it....

I think I'm missing the point swarf.

The first person loaded Zorin on a Windows Laptop and said it was better than a version on mac OS released in 2009?

The second person loaded it on his mac and thought it was better that the Apple OS?

Maybe I need more coffee but are you now saying that Zorin is better than Windows and mac OS. Or, are you just letting us know a couple more people like Zorin?

OK, the first one was obviously a 'hackintosh' comment - the users comments stand by their own merits.

And no Ghozer, Core is Free - there is no cost - it is all I am running at the moment - anything I need extra is easily installed using Synaptic Package Manager and for that to be accessible, I never boot into 'Zorin on Wayland' - Wayland is as bad as the software written by the guy who wrote systemd and pulseaudio - these two can't be extracted from Zorin. I will make criticisms of OS's wherever they deserve it, as you will note by my 'Unofficial Manual' stances when it comes to things like Synaptic Package Manager not being present. That aside, the fact that a GNU/Linux distro can run better than others on a Mac is quite an achievement in itself. (2nd comment above).

Just to add that the next releases of Mac Hardware won't be allowed to run anything other than Apple's OS.

Edited by swarfendor437

I guess I still don't understand why you continually harp on about this particular OS? It's like a religion to you, even Jehovah's Witnesses don't go on this much, they at least just stand there and will talk to you if you're interested these days.

I use OS X Mojave and Windows 10 on a daily basis. Both have their positives and negatives. Currently dual booting the Win 10 laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS but not getting along with it, mainly due to the GUI, I realise there are others but I have no time to mess. I'll stick to using the Windows Bash Shell as it does everything I need. Git, Docker, VS Code, I can do it all on both OSes, beyond that I'm not much bothered.

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

I will make criticisms of OS's wherever they deserve it,

You have proven time and time again to have zero tolerance for any operating system that isn't GNU/Linux. Your knowledge about the actual nuts and bolts of other OSs is very biased and in most cases based on a bunch of quotes you dig up of the net and seem to believe. You're basing your criticisms on other peoples alleged results, both people in your quote had 1 post, it may be coincidence but more likely a couple of people that jumped in feet first and hadn't fully tested their new shiny toy. You might want to sit down and properly try other things, you might learn that there are other, maybe better ways to do things. Chances are that you'll need to have a mix of operating systems so I guess that's out of the question.

As for Apple, if you mean the T* Security Chip, it started a while ago and I'm sure Apple will keep developing it. It may mean the end to hacks...it may not.

6 hours ago, zach said:

You have proven time and time again to have zero tolerance for any operating system that isn't GNU/Linux. Your knowledge about the actual nuts and bolts of other OSs is very biased and in most cases based on a bunch of quotes you dig up of the net and seem to believe. You're basing your criticisms on other peoples alleged results, both people in your quote had 1 post, it may be coincidence but more likely a couple of people that jumped in feet first and hadn't fully tested their new shiny toy. You might want to sit down and properly try other things, you might learn that there are other, maybe better ways to do things. Chances are that you'll need to have a mix of operating systems so I guess that's out of the question.

As for Apple, if you mean the T* Security Chip, it started a while ago and I'm sure Apple will keep developing it. It may mean the end to hacks...it may not.

Not so - you need to read my last post. I don't knock BSD either as it tends to be more stable than GNU/Linux. I have yet to give GNU Hurd a try to see if it has improved any. There are other OS's too apart from Windows, Apple and GNU/Linux.

Where I stand can best be summed up by the video Stephen Fry created for GNU/Linux:

http://www.gnu.org/fry/

Plus:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2410729/tech-pioneers-outline-dangers-of-proprietary-software-and-surveillance

and:

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/richard-stallman-one-of-my-favorites-gnulinux

Ok... more links!!

I'll give them a miss.

but w10 is better......    🤪

Mod Note: Have locked the thread, before it turns into a "Win v *nix" type thread, or bashing one or the other....

What's needed to be said has been said, any links and info provided for anyone who might be interested, no more needs to be said :)