Parking For University Accommodation Tips (Any Unrestricted E.T.C?)

2 hours ago, Unnamedstudent said:

I've got quite a few events down south beofore Christmas (about 3) and they will probs be my only time back. apart from Christmas break. 

plus, I have the car anyway, so I may as well use it, unless theres some way to get supper cheap discounts on the train. 

Seems like a no brainer to me. Even if worst case scenario  it sits there for months, it's still there for doing other things. Just park it facing down on a hill (which isn't hard to find in Sheffield) so you can bump start it if low battery.

You mentioned that you like climbing, and I suspect that if you started a thread asking for good places to go, then your car will get used a lot! :hihi:

I'll also lay a bet on, that when you new housemates find out you've got a car, you'll end up using it!

Edited by *_ash_*

24 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Seems like a no brainer to me. Even if worst case scenario  it sits there for months, it's still there for doing other things. Just park it facing down on a hill (which isn't hard to find in Sheffield) so you can bump start it if low battery.

You mentioned that you like climbing, and I suspect that if you started a thread asking for good places to go, then your car will get used a lot! :hihi:

I'll also lay a bet on, that when you new housemates find out you've got a car, you'll end up using it!

I've been talking to them on FB, not gonna mention it till I arrive.

Definitely won't sit for months. even if I only use it for MCDs drive through..

I've looked into climbing a lot and might post a thread. Main reason I choose Sheffield. 

On 04/09/2019 at 10:36, Unnamedstudent said:

I mean, its not a great car, its 15 years old, and its got its MOT next week, so it might not even make it.  I don't leave anything in it anyway. Not to sound like i don't care about the car, but if someone smashes a window, my insurance covers that without affecting my premiums or no claims. (IK this from experience, although it was a car, not a break in).

And it would be no different than to where its parked now. a street away, with no CCTV.

I think I would be willing to "risk" it. Maybe park it next a nicer cars, so mine wont get nicked (thats a joke...) 

It would probs be used more than once a week, its just the bus network in sheffield looks decent.  (just not daily)

As for this;

I've done some research;

The Coach from where I live

8Hrs with 2 changes (sometimes 1) costing about £30 each way (sometimes cheaper, sometimes more expensive) Discounts can't be used on the cheapest fare, so a coachcard wouldn't help.

The train

Costs £40 ish pounds each way with a rail card, takes 4-5hours and have to use those exact  times 

https://gyazo.com/6ca47f7a061711ac840df5865bd4db8c

Car

Haven't driven to Sheffield before, but did a similar trip up North

Took about 1 tank of fuel, as its a small tank, it cost about £35 (during the trip I drove about 450 miles with only one £10 top up on fuel) 

So the cost of the actual transport is about the same. 

however, the car takes about 3.5Hrs if I'm lucky and it allows me to be more flexible. 

As for insurance, I need to pay that till April anyway (1 year contract and I want to gain 1 years no claims so, in the long run, my premiums are a lot cheaper)

Also side note, I plan to do a lot of climbing/kayaking in the peak district and so a car would be useful for that. 

Essentially I need to keep the car till April anyway

after that,  if I don't use it then who would I insure on the car and what would happen if I needed to use it on a one off occasion?

I'm hoping that in April, my premiums will go down a lot, making it not a huge factor in transport.

(Right now I'm paying £80 without a black box. I hope this can go down to <£50 /month after April )

I could seriously look into the train, but I think all in all, its almost the same price.

(What would make it not the same price, is buying a parking permit...) 

And just to add

https://gyazo.com/5fe38047539d3fc659c9617013c9f734

South Yorkshire and South wales car crime is about the same... 

Hi, 

You'll need to inform DVLA & your insurance company regarding your change of address. 

The likelihood is that your insurance will change, more than likely more expensive. 

Not doing so puts you on the wrong side of the law and can lead to fines, refusal to pay out & cancellation of your policy (which you then have to declare when you apply for insurance again) 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Hi, 

You'll need to inform DVLA & your insurance company regarding your change of address. 

The likelihood is that your insurance will change, more than likely more expensive. 

Not doing so puts you on the wrong side of the law and can lead to fines, refusal to pay out & cancellation of your policy (which you then have to declare when you apply for insurance again) 

Yes ik

I dont need to change home address, just select student living away.