Free Tv Box ?

The advert for these boxes claim you never have to pay for TV again. But don't we have to pay just to have a TV set in the house? It was such years ago with wireless receiver licences. 

51 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

The advert for these boxes claim you never have to pay for TV again. But don't we have to pay just to have a TV set in the house? It was such years ago with wireless receiver licences. 

Only if you are receiving live television or streaming something on catchup.

If you are playing videos or DVDs you don’t.

Think of as a bit like Freeview, it may be free but you still need a license to watch it as it is broadcast live.

Free - pertaining to freedom. Freedom to receive, to watch, even to the free space between the ears of certain watchers....

11 hours ago, Obelix said:

Free - pertaining to freedom. Freedom to receive, to watch, even to the free space between the ears of certain watchers....

Thank goodness for the free space between the ears ! But I don't understand the other two replies. Why would I think I need a licence if I was watching a video or a DVD  i.e. my own video or DVD? Are there other sorts?  Broadcast live: I understand that the cable TV companies are required to also send the same TV simultaneously by wireless and that is what these boxes tune in to. So are these wireless transmissions live and if so are you saying that a licence is required for watching them?

Edited by woolyhead

It would help to clarify what "boxes" you're talking about.  Do you have a link to an advert or article?

15 hours ago, me-and-pippo said:

Never.... they CANNOT force entry to your property (so just refuse to let them in) and the onus is on them to prove you're watching TV when they say you are, and there is no physical way for them to do that... without being in your house while the TV is on...

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:53, alchresearch said:

Edited by woolyhead

On 05/09/2019 at 12:08, Ghozer said:

Never.... they CANNOT force entry to your property (so just refuse to let them in) and the onus is on them to prove you're watching TV when they say you are, and there is no physical way for them to do that... without being in your house while the TV is on...

While you are doing  that, pop to the supermarket and take some beans without paying. 

Why not, eh?

37 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

While you are doing  that, pop to the supermarket and take some beans without paying. 

Why not, eh?

That's not the same at all... 

The BBC was originally funded purely by the TV license, and were NONE COMMERCIAL (didn't play any commercials on TV or radio) but since they expanded, and with modern society they have  multiple sources of income (including some commercial channels) and so continuing to 'require' a TV license is a joke, other channels/companies manage(d) without a license (I know they get a small % of the current license, but it really is, a SMALL %)

the TV license is only there now, because it's always been there, there should be ZERO reason for it to exist...

but it's fine, as I don't watch TV any way, I stream anything I watch (and I don't bother with iPlayer) 

Edited by Ghozer

The name of the box was just posted and has been confirmed as a known scam. That in mind, we are closing the thread.