Just heard someone broke into one of my relations shed last night, they must've been disturbed as nothing was taken so keep vigilant.

101 was called.

FYI Remington Road, S5 area.

Edited by glitterballs

I had a SYP alert to say there was a shed break-in on Dugdale Road last night too

I must put my house alarm on as my shed is connected to the alarm

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

I must put my house alarm on as my shed is connected to the alarm

Why not sleep in the shed instead and save yourself the trouble?

People who break into garden sheds eh?  Vermin that's what they are.  Not exactly a "bank-heist" is it?  But it's annoying and frustrating for those on the receiving end.

When our kids were younger they had a little wooden house at the back of our garden.  They never played in it much and so I started to keep the lawnmower and a few garden tools in there.  It wasn't lockable, but this is a "nice" area, a "posh" area,  so, I didn't think it was necessary.  

One morning I woke up to find the wooden house door open and the lawnmower and garden tools gone.  A few hundred quids worth of tools as well, petrol strimmer and hedge-trimmer included.  From then on I've kept anything of remote value locked up in the garage (apart from my wife, who I keep in the coal-shed).

I have been contemplating buying a garden shed as the garage is filling up with garden tools and numerous bicycles (cycling being a favourite hobby of mine).  I'd probably go for a log-cabin as I like the appearance of those better than a shed and they are more robust - still not infallible though.  Another option I saw was something called a "secure shed" on the internet a while ago.  This looks like an ordinary garden shed but it has an inner metal cage - so even if folks break the wooden outside they still can't get to the contents.  

It's a pity that we have to go to such lengths to secure our valuables but thankfully it's still o.k. to speak badly of those who steal from others - in a few years time we'll be criticised for calling them names, like "vermin", and be encouraged to understand and embrace them.

Edited by DerbyTup

Bit of an update.

A policeman turned up and took some details and also left a shed alarm for her,  looks like a few were broken into and some things did get lifted.

its awfull to think you cant even put ones goods in a hut,without some scum removing the contents,unfortunatly its todays world minus 22 thousand police,lets see what happens when they re-appear,doubt it will as most will be in laybyes waiting for traffic offences,i do hope the catch the scum though.

On 04/09/2019 at 04:59, DerbyTup said:

People who break into garden sheds eh?  Vermin that's what they are.  Not exactly a "bank-heist" is it?  But it's annoying and frustrating for those on the receiving end.

It's a pity that we have to go to such lengths to secure our valuables but thankfully it's still o.k. to speak badly of those who steal from others - in a few years time we'll be criticised for calling them names, like "vermin", and be encouraged to understand and embrace them.

Indeed.  We really ought to be grateful that these subhuman thieving scumbags live amongst us and  thereby add variety and interest to our daily lives.

On 04/09/2019 at 04:59, DerbyTup said:

When our kids were younger they had a little wooden house at the back of our garden.  They never played in it much and so I started to keep the lawnmower and a few garden tools in there.  It wasn't lockable, but this is a "nice" area, a "posh" area,  so, I didn't think it was necessary.  

One morning I woke up to find the wooden house door open and the lawnmower and garden tools gone.  A few hundred quids worth of tools as well, petrol strimmer and hedge-trimmer included.  From then on I've kept anything of remote value locked up in the garage (apart from my wife, who I keep in the coal-shed).

I have been contemplating buying a garden shed as the garage is filling up with garden tools and numerous bicycles (cycling being a favourite hobby of mine).  I'd probably go for a log-cabin as I like the appearance of those better than a shed and they are more robust - still not infallible though.  Another option I saw was something called a "secure shed" on the internet a while ago.  This looks like an ordinary garden shed but it has an inner metal cage - so even if folks break the wooden outside they still can't get to the contents.  

Derby Tup, surely they are Vermin.  I don't think you are being harsh here.  Some of us work hard for our possessions, why should some scumbag come and take those for themselves

On 03/09/2019 at 19:55, lyndseyDIZ said:

I had a SYP alert to say there was a shed break-in on Dugdale Road last night 

Just seen this:

https://www.southyorks.police.uk/sign-up/syp-alerts/

Seems a good idea. I think I would get annoyed though with texts coming through all the time.

Edited by Janus

I just have emails and they are infrequent 

We had an old mill stone stolen from our front garden. It had been outside the front door for years,  I remember the kids used to sit on it to put take their wellies on when they we little

Then some (presumably fairly strong) vermin pinched it

I do hope they needed it  (or the money from selling it) for something important, rather than just being too lazy to work for a living like the rest of us