Washer/Dryer Wont Drain

We bought a Bosch Exxcell washer/dryer wvh28360gb 5 years ago from John Lewis, and sadly it's 3yr warranty has long expired. The washer works absolutely fine but the dryer has stopped working properly. Previously it's dried our clothes brilliantly on all settings for 4 years. However in the last 6 months its stopped working. The heating in the dryer is clearly working, but after a 2 hour 30 minute dry....the clothes come out sopping wet. They're hot, but far far wetter than when we started.

We got DART on Barber Road to take it into their shop to fix, and they couldn't replicate the problem. Whilst they explained to us that these washer/dryers do take in some water to dry the clothes, they said the clothes they put on to dry came out bone dry after a 2hour 30 minute cycle. Since getting it back from them, we've tried again and the problem is unchanged for us. I have no idea why the problem didn't replicate for DART. The clothes still come out dripping for us.

I feel like we've tried everything to get it working. We've cleaner all the filters, put it on the defluff setting, we've pulled it away from the wall to ensure it's got ventilation at the back- and tried running it again on the longest setting every time. DART cant fathom why it wont work for us.

I don't know if any washer/dryer experts can help advise us? We are loathed to pay Bosch the £99 call out fee. I don't want to pay anymore call out fees. Are there any local engineers who would come and take a look but only be paid upon actually fixing it?

22 minutes ago, angepower said:

Are there any local engineers who would come and take a look but only be paid upon actually fixing it?

Unless it’s something really obvious you will struggle to find someone who won’t charge for their time.

Not an expert but sounds like a venting problem if the heater is working but the clothes are still wet. That would also explain why it was fine in another location.

Sorry to hear about your experience. After having a few dodgy washing machines I decided to buy a John Lewis badged Bosch from Barkers Pool so that I would have a trouble-free washing experience. Fourteen years on and the machine still runs like new. 

Don't blame you for not wanting to pay the callout fee, but I will say that we've had to have Bosch out a couple of times and have been pleased with their skill and professionalism. If you run out of other options, might be worth a try.

The clothes are coming out dripping wet?  They shouldn't be that wet before the drying process starts.

You could have a problem with the spin setting, it might not be getting upto speed leaving the clothes far too wet for the dryer to deal with.

Try doing a half load and check on the machine to make sure it gets to full spin speed, if so let it do the dry and see what happens.

Most machines will cut the spin speed right down if there is an issue with the spin like the load being too high or unbalanced.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Unless it’s something really obvious you will struggle to find someone who won’t charge for their time.

Not an expert but sounds like a venting problem if the heater is working but the clothes are still wet. That would also explain why it was fine in another location.

Sorry to hear about your experience. After having a few dodgy washing machines I decided to buy a John Lewis badged Bosch from Barkers Pool so that I would have a trouble-free washing experience. Fourteen years on and the machine still runs like new. 

Yes equally this was from John Lewis so we hoped we wouldn't have any problems!

51 minutes ago, geared said:

The clothes are coming out dripping wet?  They shouldn't be that wet before the drying process starts.

You could have a problem with the spin setting, it might not be getting upto speed leaving the clothes far too wet for the dryer to deal with.

Try doing a half load and check on the machine to make sure it gets to full spin speed, if so let it do the dry and see what happens.

Most machines will cut the spin speed right down if there is an issue with the spin like the load being too high or unbalanced.

No the clothes are going in with the usual slight dampness you expect after a wash and a spin cycle. They're fine when they go in. They're coming out from the dryer wetter than they were when they went in. We do a wash, then take out half the washing to get it down to under the 4kg. Then put it back on to dry for over 2 hours. And they come out even wetter than they went in after their wash,.