Kids Throwing Stones At Passing Cars

Last night about 8.30 driving on Greenhill Parkway towards Meadowhead my car was hit by a stone. It came from the grounds of Greenhill Primary School I think. Fortunately it didn't hit a window but has left a dent in the side of my car with some paintwork damage. It certainly gave me a shock. Very dangerous. Kids lurking in the trees I suspect.

17 hours ago, Mallard said:

Last night about 8.30 driving on Greenhill Parkway towards Meadowhead my car was hit by a stone. It came from the grounds of Greenhill Primary School I think. Fortunately it didn't hit a window but has left a dent in the side of my car with some paintwork damage. It certainly gave me a shock. Very dangerous. Kids lurking in the trees I suspect.

Probably lurking in the bushes I'd guess.  It would be a bit dangerous to lurk in a tree and be throwing stones, one may fall out.  

I think this is bad form - but I've done it myself, years ago, when I was a kid.  Reason..."boredom".  Summat to do with me mates.  Lob a few stones at passing cars and then run off.  It provided a bit of excitement at the time.   It never occurred to me or my mates how dangerous it could be.  It was just high-jinx without any consideration for the consequences.  I'm not proud of it, but I thought I'd mention it and get it out of the way now before I become famous and somebody tries to ruin my career over it.

Edited by DerbyTup

I seem to remember reading on here there was an area where this sort of thing was happening to buses.  I think the bus company eventually refused to operate there. Can't remember which area it was.

On 04/09/2019 at 05:06, DerbyTup said:

Probably lurking in the bushes I'd guess.  It would be a bit dangerous to lurk in a tree and be throwing stones, one may fall out.  

I think this is bad form - but I've done it myself, years ago, when I was a kid.  Reason..."boredom".  Summat to do with me mates.  Lob a few stones at passing cars and then run off.  It provided a bit of excitement at the time.   It never occurred to me or my mates how dangerous it could be.  It was just high-jinx without any consideration for the consequences.  I'm not proud of it, but I thought I'd mention it and get it out of the way now before I become famous and somebody tries to ruin my career over it.

I thought you were already famous Derby!   Was it Gleadless Valley where the bus companies refused to travel?  

Yes, Gleadless Valley - missiles being thrown at buses on Blackstock Road this week.

You have my sympathy Mallard - my car was hit several years ago by a stone thrown by a lad who looked about 8 years old, as I was driving up the steep hill on Gleadless Rd near Sands Close.  Over £300 worth of damage to the roof of my 2 year old car, insurance excess was £350 at the time so I had to pay for the repair out of my own pocket.

A few months ago I was on a 52 bus going through Handsworth when it passed a couple of schoolboys. One threw a stone which broke one of the windows so the bus had to stop at the next bus stop whilst the driver radioed for advice. The 2 schoolboys walked past the bus laughing so I pointed out the one who'd thrown the stone. "Nothing I can do," he shrugged before asking us all to get off and wait for the next bus. They're untouchable.

Think yourselves 'Lucky'...One of these days it won't be mere stones that are thrown at your car.!

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

Think yourselves 'Lucky'...One of these days it won't be mere stones that are thrown at your car.!

I had an egg thrown at my car in the Ecclesfield area.

Send a letter of complaint to all the local schools and warn them that if it continues the police will be notified - and may give a talk at the schools.