Would You Stand To Be A Mp/Councillor?

Many think politicains are the lowest of the low, so are Sheffield forumers doing anything about it?

I have always had an interest in politics. As I get older, I get richer, so the £500 deposit seems doable.

Unless of course they increase it, it has been £500 for a long time.

Prospective MPs seem to be a closed shop. Boris Johnsons dad and brother is an MP, his sister has tried once and failed. Jay Aston from Bucks Fizz is even trying to get elected; I thought that we were meant to live in a meritocracy?

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

I thought that we were meant to live in a meritocracy?

No, as I have tried to explain before in another thread in our democratic society anyone over the age of 18 can apply to be an MP regardless of their education, qualifications or merit. Providing they qualify and can pay the deposit whether they get elected or not is then down to the voters. I believe Jeremy Corbyn has only 2 A levels at EE grade and yet he is leader of the Labour party. 

Being a councillor is a bit different as that is almost a voluntary role as they do not get paid for being one but again anyone who qualifies can apply and if lucky get voted in.

And to answer the question, no I wouldnt stand for either.

Edited by Dromedary

5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Being a councillor is a bit different as that is almost a voluntary role as they do not get paid for being one but again anyone who qualifies can apply and if lucky get voted in.

At the parish level the councillors don't get paid, but Sheffield City councillors get around £12k

5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

I believe Jeremy Corbyn has only 2 A levels at EE grade and yet he is leader of the Labour party.

In the case of Boris Johnson, his education seems unimportant, only that he went to Eton. Maybe honesty would be a more important charactoristic than education?

Only if i could stand behind a mandate of increasing personal taxation to 30%.

Lets see if that additional 10% of everyones wealth to prop up council services etc would get me in.

Not surprisingly i doubt it - everyone talks a  good game about austerity until they have to get their hands in their own pockets.

Its taken the best part of 15 years to even get a new parish council member in our village and now we have a complete change -the Labour councillors have been taken to task over the funding blackhole and continual losses and council tax rises,and been almost repla ed entirely by Conservative councillors. Standing for election doesn't mean a thing with the "boys club" in the background.

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

No, as I have tried to explain before in another thread in our democratic society anyone over the age of 18 can apply to be an MP regardless of their education, qualifications or merit. Providing they qualify and can pay the deposit whether they get elected or not is then down to the voters. I believe Jeremy Corbyn has only 2 A levels at EE grade and yet he is leader of the Labour party. 

And to answer the question, no I wouldnt stand for either.

So wrong again on so many levels.

Do you actually check what you spout or is it I say it so it must be true?

1 hour ago, willman said:

Only if i could stand behind a mandate of increasing personal taxation to 30%.

Lets see if that additional 10% of everyones wealth to prop up council services etc would get me in.

Not surprisingly i doubt it - everyone talks a  good game about austerity until they have to get their hands in their own pockets.

Its taken the best part of 15 years to even get a new parish council member in our village and now we have a complete change -the Labour councillors have been taken to task over the funding blackhole and continual losses and council tax rises,and been almost repla ed entirely by Conservative councillors. Standing for election doesn't mean a thing with the "boys club" in the background.

Personal taxation is already over 30% - dont forget NI.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

At the parish level the councillors don't get paid, but Sheffield City councillors get around £12k

That is in the form of allowances which is not a salary or wage like a MP gets. 

In the case of Boris Johnson, his education seems unimportant, only that he went to Eton. Maybe honesty would be a more important charactoristic than education?

Neither are qualifications for a political job. That long standing MP Dennis Skinner I believe has no academic qualifications and a number of other MP's also have none or just a few. Take Sheffield council for instance, Julie Dore is an ex-dinner lady with a SM and College Education and yet is leader of it.  In a democracy having no qualification does not bar you from becoming a Councillor or MP as it is open to all that qualify. It helps to have a UNI Education if you are wanting to be part of the higher offices such as a minister.

Edited by Dromedary

Breakdown of councillors allowances by individual is available online.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/your-city-council/members-allowances/Members Expenses - 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019.pdf

These allowances are subject to Tax and National insurance 

Edited by steve68

34 minutes ago, steve68 said:

Breakdown of councillors allowances by individual is available online.

These allowances are subject to Tax and National insurance

Its the same issue with MPs rewards, how much work is required for that reward, councillors and MPs often have other jobs.

17 hours ago, El Cid said:

Many think politicains are the lowest of the low, so are Sheffield forumers doing anything about it?

I have always had an interest in politics. As I get older, I get richer, so the £500 deposit seems doable.

Unless of course they increase it, it has been £500 for a long time.

Prospective MPs seem to be a closed shop. Boris Johnsons dad and brother is an MP, his sister has tried once and failed. Jay Aston from Bucks Fizz is even trying to get elected; I thought that we were meant to live in a meritocracy?

Given the region we live in unless you're standing for the right party you're highly unlikely to get many votes.

Technically 'anyone' can get elected and we know there are surprises (look at our Hallam MP) but for the most part you've gotta be the chosen one for the right party in the right seat.

5 hours ago, geared said:

Technically 'anyone' can get elected and we know there are surprises (look at our Hallam MP) but for the most part you've gotta be the chosen one for the right party in the right seat.

Ouch, be careful with that one as you will have the Gaul after you! :hihi:

5 hours ago, geared said:

Jared O'Mara might be an example of that, but I hope there are some outstanding people, that can get elected, like Nick Clegg, and Philip Hammond.