Stupid School Rules

This is far more likely an instance of Chinese whispers, your niece told your bro who told you. It is probably the case, as someone else has suggested, that a full risk assessment needs to have taken place before the child is admitted back to school.

I'd leave it a few days and let your brother sort it out.

Thanks for all your replies and I was going to post more info sooner but I decided to wait until everything had been resolved. Unfortunately it still has not been fully resolved as the school is now digging its heals in about her footwear. I passed on the suggestion of buying a pair of trousers and cutting them up so my niece  was still in school uniform and the school grudgingly agreed but then kicked up a fuss about her footwear. Right now whilst she is on crutches its comfier and probably a bit safer for her to wear trainers or rather a single trainer as they are far more grippy than her school shoes but nooooooooooooooooo, the school are having none of it..

The trainer is plain black (school shoes should be plain black) with an off white sole but as trainers are not approved school wear (apart from when in the gym) they will not allow her to wear them.

A meeting has been arranged for Friday with the head of year and the head of school if he is able to make it.

And just to clear a few things up. My brother wont be contacting the media and as he was told the same sorry story by the school as my niece was its not likely to be a case of Chinese whispers either. In the mean time my Bro and sister in law are looking into moving schools. Their feelings being that as the school are being so petty about this total non issue how will they behave if a situation of a more serious nature needs dealing with. I kind of understand this but Ive told him that this could cause way more problems than it solves especially as its my nieces last year in school.

On 04/09/2019 at 07:23, RollingJ said:

@kevvy It was stated in the original post that this was a uniform issue.

So it was. However I still stand by my post of it being a safety issue too.

The world's gone mad. 

My school uniform up to the end of year 8; plain black, blue or grey sweater and trousers, with white, blue or grey shirt OR t-shirt underneath, no denim. Trainers or shoes OK. 

Year 9 onwards, pretty much anything we wanted within reason. 

As for the safety issue, you'd think the school would already have plans in place, there always seemed to be someone on crutches when I was at high school, admittedly a school with around 2000 pupils. But judging by the schools responses given by the OP it does come across as a ridiculous interpretation of the school rules by teachers with no common sense. 

Edited by saywhatnow
Typo

Guest makapaka

I went through my entire school life and never wore a uniform once. 

38 minutes ago, Obelix said:

In other news, kids that grow can get penalised....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49592200

I mean seriously? Uniforms cost money and the rate some grow at you would think that the school would let alone until it's really not fitting....

Unless they thought they were done on purpose i.e 7/8th length. Not saying they were but that could have been the case.

It also wouldn't be the first time that pupils have inched garments up at the waist band and infringed rules either.