Stupid School Rules

Sounds completely unreasonable.

As other have said ask for it all in writing, they will probably back down when the realise a superior is going to ask them to explain themselves.

If a child cannot attend school for a health- related reason,confirmed by hospital ( not GP),they are entitled to 1:1 support at home whilst they are unable to attend.School have made it impossible for your niece to attend,but they have a duty to provide work and support at home.Speak to the Head of Year/ Headteacher.If nothing changes,ask for out of school support ( it’s a legal requirement for illness/ injury supported by health professionals ).

Hope that helps!

8 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

That's disgusting. I'd suggest you contact the media.

Stupid idea.

The OP should definately get it all in writing and pursue the official route. They could do all that and still contact the media. After all, often, the offical route goes nowhere, and, even when it works, it takes a long time.

The girl is in her last year; missing chunks of time due to bureaucratic nonsense is not fair. Having this farce spread across the media will likely produce the very quick result of the school backing down.

Schools have happily fined many parents for their children missing a few odd days- why should it be acceptable for them to block a child for no good reason. Seems perfectly newsworthy to me.

Edited by onewheeldave
spelling

It does sound like the school is being very unreasonable.
My son had an accident a few years ago and ended up in a wheelchair with a Taylor Spatial Frame on his leg.  His school were fine with him wearing a pair of loose shorts with the rest of his uniform.
Surely the most important thing should be the childs education.

On 02/09/2019 at 18:04, Waj said:

Ive just had a call from my bro whos daughter is currently on crutches. She went back to school today but was stopped at the school gates and refused entry to the premises because (and I can barely believe this) she was not in full school uniform.

Due to the broken leg she is unable to wear her school trousers so instead went in a pair of loose fitting plain black jogging bottoms and a single black trainer. Bro rang school and explained the reasons for her clothes but apparently rules are rules and she is not allowed back until she is in full school uniform. I told him to get them to put it in writing then he can complain and the school said they may send a letter about the "incident" . Now keep in mind that this girl who is being denied her education is a good student and has had only 1 day off school in the last 3 years, has had no late marks in 3 years and on top of that this is her last year there so its an important time in her education but no, Rules are rules.

What are your thoughts? Is the school in the right or should some slack be given when its obviously not the kids fault they cant wear full uniform for a couple more weeks?

I think you made that up

Guest makapaka
On 02/09/2019 at 18:04, Waj said:

Ive just had a call from my bro whos daughter is currently on crutches. She went back to school today but was stopped at the school gates and refused entry to the premises because (and I can barely believe this) she was not in full school uniform.

Due to the broken leg she is unable to wear her school trousers so instead went in a pair of loose fitting plain black jogging bottoms and a single black trainer. Bro rang school and explained the reasons for her clothes but apparently rules are rules and she is not allowed back until she is in full school uniform. I told him to get them to put it in writing then he can complain and the school said they may send a letter about the "incident" . Now keep in mind that this girl who is being denied her education is a good student and has had only 1 day off school in the last 3 years, has had no late marks in 3 years and on top of that this is her last year there so its an important time in her education but no, Rules are rules.

What are your thoughts? Is the school in the right or should some slack be given when its obviously not the kids fault they cant wear full uniform for a couple more weeks?

It’s unreasonable.

i agree with strict uniform policy but not when someone has a broken leg for goodness sake.

its clearly for a specific and unavoidable reason that could easily be explained to anyone questioning why they are not in usual uniform.

daft.

I would be more concerned for the safety of a pupil who needed to use crutches in a busy school.  It's asking for trouble.  I would only want a student on crutches in a school after a full risk assessment has taken place and appropriate provisions made.

It could simply be a Welfare issue. The child has a broken leg , is using crutches. If they got knocked over in the School and caused further injury to themselves then who takes the blame ?

@kevvy It was stated in the original post that this was a uniform issue.

16 hours ago, jstarr said:

If a child cannot attend school for a health- related reason,confirmed by hospital ( not GP),they are entitled to 1:1 support at home whilst they are unable to attend.School have made it impossible for your niece to attend,but they have a duty to provide work and support at home.Speak to the Head of Year/ Headteacher.If nothing changes,ask for out of school support ( it’s a legal requirement for illness/ injury supported by health professionals ).

Hope that helps!

This is true - when I broke my leg when I was younger (it was VERY bad) I was home-schooled for 6 weeks, then had 'help' at school for up to 4 weeks when I returned too...