Stupid School Rules

Ive just had a call from my bro whos daughter is currently on crutches. She went back to school today but was stopped at the school gates and refused entry to the premises because (and I can barely believe this) she was not in full school uniform.

Due to the broken leg she is unable to wear her school trousers so instead went in a pair of loose fitting plain black jogging bottoms and a single black trainer. Bro rang school and explained the reasons for her clothes but apparently rules are rules and she is not allowed back until she is in full school uniform. I told him to get them to put it in writing then he can complain and the school said they may send a letter about the "incident" . Now keep in mind that this girl who is being denied her education is a good student and has had only 1 day off school in the last 3 years, has had no late marks in 3 years and on top of that this is her last year there so its an important time in her education but no, Rules are rules.

What are your thoughts? Is the school in the right or should some slack be given when its obviously not the kids fault they cant wear full uniform for a couple more weeks?

52 minutes ago, Waj said:

Ive just had a call from my bro whos daughter is currently on crutches. She went back to school today but was stopped at the school gates and refused entry to the premises because (and I can barely believe this) she was not in full school uniform.

Due to the broken leg she is unable to wear her school trousers so instead went in a pair of loose fitting plain black jogging bottoms and a single black trainer. Bro rang school and explained the reasons for her clothes but apparently rules are rules and she is not allowed back until she is in full school uniform. I told him to get them to put it in writing then he can complain and the school said they may send a letter about the "incident" . Now keep in mind that this girl who is being denied her education is a good student and has had only 1 day off school in the last 3 years, has had no late marks in 3 years and on top of that this is her last year there so its an important time in her education but no, Rules are rules.

What are your thoughts? Is the school in the right or should some slack be given when its obviously not the kids fault they cant wear full uniform for a couple more weeks?

Seems very unreasonable given the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Waj said:

I told him to get them to put it in writing then he can complain and the school said they may send a letter about the "incident" . Now keep in mind that this girl who is being denied her education is a good student and has had only 1 day off school in the last 3 years,

Get an old uniform and cut it up, so that she can wear it?

I’d contact one of the pastoral team and ask them for advice. Maybe go into school and talk the problem through.

Robin is right, it is rather unreasonable. I’d hope that you should be able to get a solution quite easily.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Get an old uniform and cut it up, so that she can wear it?

Thats a good idea. Thank you ill pass it on.

3 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Seems very unreasonable given the circumstances. 

Thats exactly what I thought. I mean shes a good kid, never in trouble and with an exemplary attendance. To me she is one of the types of kids schools need to really get behind but then I am a touch bias lol.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I’d contact one of the pastoral team and ask them for advice. Maybe go into school and talk the problem through.

Robin is right, it is rather unreasonable. I’d hope that you should be able to get a solution quite easily.

Sorry to sound thick but what is a pastoral team?

14 minutes ago, Waj said:

Head of year, or possibly head of house.

6 hours ago, Waj said:

Thats a good idea. Thank you ill pass it on.

Thats exactly what I thought. I mean shes a good kid, never in trouble and with an exemplary attendance. To me she is one of the types of kids schools need to really get behind but then I am a touch bias lol.

Members of staff who rather than being simply teachers are responsible for pupils welfare

13 hours ago, Waj said:

Sounds like some bored jobsworth trying to justify their worthless existence.

Ask to get it in writing from a named individual so when they complain your niece isnt in school you have a paper trail

Edited by alchemist

Tell them you want it in writing and the reasons and the solution to the "problem"

Once they give you that, explicity ask them for the contact details for the board of Governers and the PTA if there is one. Then seek their guidance, and that of the LEA

When did this change? I remember being in secondary school and during my time there was the odd kid who broke a leg and wore joggers or something along those lines, no one had an issue with it, this was even the case after the school moved to an academy and had even stricter rules about uniforms etc... 

As above get the official stuff but try speaking to someone else at the school, sounds too much like a jobsworthy drone trying to keep their traumatic school years suppressed. 

5 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

That's disgusting. I'd suggest you contact the media.

How about contacting the head first, getting a complaint raised with the school and getting a response from the actual people can do something about it.

I never get this knee-jerk reaction to go crying to the media with the obligatory  sad faced staged picture for every little piddling thing.

It's obviously some simple mistake by some over-zealous teacher or staff member.  The Head and possibly the governors are the people to sort it not The Sun.  

Going to the media is really pathetic.  It's hardly a newsworthy national scandal.

Edited by ECCOnoob