Jump to content

Possible Traffic Disruption 09/09/19.

Recommended Posts

Is anyone taking photos so we can track these people down?  Name and shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how these climate change zealots got here?  Last time at least one was bragging they had driven from Newcastle (or somewhere remote) alone in their car so very environmentally  aware and friendly.

Well it's just started raining, hope they get soaked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we could start a crowdfunder to hire one of those planes they use for fighting bush fires and dump tonnes of water on them!   😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone says do these people not think logically, surely a road that makes traffic move freely is better that a road that is congested and lots of standing traffic spewing out fumes. Maybe these protesters want the police to come along and nick everyone that doesn't turn the engine off while stuck in traffic.

 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/tensions-rise-between-motorists-and-climate-change-protesters-as-sheffields-bridgehouses-roundabout-is-brought-to-standstill-536091

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'road' in question is Bridgehouses roundabout. Which already has multiple lanes, in all directions. If traffic isn't flowing freely, then it's because there's too much traffic.

 

Bridgehouses is being slightly re-modelled, at a cost of £5million. for an increase in traffic flow of something like 100 cars per hour. 

 

(It's combining the traffic heading for Chatham and Mowbray street into 1lane. As not many people head up Chatham at rush hour, the benefits will be small at best)

 

What the protestors want is for the council, which has declared a 'climate emergency' to stop pouring all our transport budget into the black hole of road-widening. The road in question is fine. It's the not-car alternatives that need the money. 

 

Los Angeles recently spent $1.6billion adding an extra lane to 10 miles of the i405, and congestion just got worse.

Edited by ads36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, iansheff said:

As someone says do these people not think logically, surely a road that makes traffic move freely is better that a road that is congested and lots of standing traffic spewing out fumes. Maybe these protesters want the police to come along and nick everyone that doesn't turn the engine off while stuck in traffic.

 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/tensions-rise-between-motorists-and-climate-change-protesters-as-sheffields-bridgehouses-roundabout-is-brought-to-standstill-536091

The last time they did this in town there was a thread as you'd expect with many arguments on both sides yada yada yada I think people are now just bored of them, I've seen far less in the media about them, less people even on here don't seem to be bothered to argue about them anymore. 

 

Surely one of them must be sitting there today, cold, wet and hated by the traffic in front thinking  ''What am I doing with my life''  Surely they must know once they pack up and leave no difference has been made. Should the Council revise their idea or stop the plans entirely it most certainly won't be because of those prats in the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Road planning around Sheffield has been dire for decades due the the same people at the top. We need new people with new ideas about an issue that will always be there and with greater complexity as time goes by. Making a stand is necessary to show that people are not satisfied with the options presented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know if the traffic is still bad around Bridgehouses roundabout as I need to drive from woodhouse to Hillsborough in the next hour. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The disruption was 5 minutes at rush hour (7-9am) it will be clear after half an hour backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The 'road' in question is Bridgehouses roundabout. Which already has multiple lanes, in all directions. If traffic isn't flowing freely, then it's because there's too much traffic.

 

Bridgehouses is being slightly re-modelled, at a cost of £5million. for an increase in traffic flow of something like 100 cars per hour. 

 

(It's combining the traffic heading for Chatham and Mowbray street into 1lane. As not many people head up Chatham at rush hour, the benefits will be small at best)

 

What the protestors want is for the council, which has declared a 'climate emergency' to stop pouring all our transport budget into the black hole of road-widening. The road in question is fine. It's the not-car alternatives that need the money. 

 

Los Angeles recently spent $1.6billion adding an extra lane to 10 miles of the i405, and congestion just got worse.

What the scheme is actually doing is trying to improve the situation where the major ahead movements are blocked by traffic queuing to turn. A friend of mine uses the junction daily and says that in his view the proposed improvements are exactly what is needed.

 

The council isn't pouring all its transport budget into road widening. Larger schemes like this are funded at city region level. The local allocation of money for smaller transport projects in Sheffield is relatively small and due to government austerity cuts, is about half of what it used to be a few years back. They spend it on all sorts of projects, including ones which improve facilities for walking and cycling.

 

Larger schemes like this have to go through a business case development process and the benefits are calculated according to the Department for Transport (DfT) methodology for transport assessment "WebTAG" See: this page

 

Unfortunately the main benefits for highway schemes in this methodology are time savings for motorists, so capacity improvement schemes fare best.

29 minutes ago, Seorch UK said:

Road planning around Sheffield has been dire for decades due the the same people at the top. We need new people with new ideas about an issue that will always be there and with greater complexity as time goes by. Making a stand is necessary to show that people are not satisfied with the options presented. 

I don't think this is true.

 

The measures and types of schemes you see here are very similar to those done everywhere.

 

What would you like to see that is different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Sheffield is relatively small and due to government austerity cuts, is about half of what it used to be a few years back

So, what you're saying is : we don't have much money, but we're choosing to spend what little we have on the least efficient mode, in the least efficient way.

 

Edit I appreciate you taking time to hang around on here, calmly trying to explain complicated issues to moaning tossers like me. I've had a word with myself, and will try to be less of a git.

 

Edited by ads36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I don't think this is true.

 

The measures and types of schemes you see here are very similar to those done everywhere.

 

What would you like to see that is different?

Picking schemes form other cities doesn't make it a good one.

The question should be a priority and made outwardly to all Sheffield communities via local councillors and groups.

The one level of roads, junctions and paths has been a problem from the start. Subways and flyovers are the solution, you then do not need smart lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.