Possible Traffic Disruption 09/09/19.

Sheffield city council make Their own  disruption they don't need a few middle class yuppies helping them!,haha

why are they allowed to do this? why dont the police move em on or arrest em?

Is that woman too dense to figure out that traffic moving more quickly  to its destination causes less pollution than stationary and slow moving traffic?   Hence road widening good.   Not rocket science. 

53 minutes ago, jonnythefox said:

why are they allowed to do this? why dont the police move em on or arrest em?

Short answer is they're not. 

Long answer is they will be in contravention of Sec 173 of the Highways Act. 

The right to protest does not trump this however due to the fact that our police are a farce not a force these days they'll just stand and choose which laws to uphold as normal. 

30 minutes ago, kaytie said:

Is that woman too dense to figure out that traffic moving more quickly  to its destination causes less pollution than stationary and slow moving traffic?   Hence road widening good.   Not rocket science. 

She may have an understanding of 'Induced demand' and realise that adding roads, or widening roads, after a brief short term improvement, leads to more traffic and more congestion 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

on a normal day, my drive to/past the station is a pain, I average something like 7mph.

(about 5 miles, in about 45 minutes)

it's not the protest(ers) that'll cause the problem, it's 70 years of car-first (car only) transport planning.

why is the bus so expensive?

why are we allowed to park on bus routes? 

why are there no safe cycle routes?

why doesn't the tram go anywhere useful?

why does the tram have to share road space with so many cars?

we need to invest in not-car transport options, this will even free up road space for those few 'necessary' car journeys.

Edited by ads36

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Short answer is they're not. 

Long answer is they will be in contravention of Sec 173 of the Highways Act.

Sorry for having my cryton head on, 173 is Hoardings to be securely erected think you mean 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

Either way I think its not very smart to cause more pollution by obstructing the highway and creating huge traffic jams, shame there is no law with power of arrest for stupidity.

Edited by LumoColor

On 03/09/2019 at 16:15, LumoColor said:

Sorry for having my cryton head on, 173 is Hoardings to be securely erected think you mean 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

Either way I think its not very smart to cause more pollution by obstructing the highway and creating huge traffic jams, shame there is no law with power of arrest for stupidity.

You're right of course. Why I wrote 173 is a mystery

Hopefully they only do this for a few hours and have buggered off by the evening rush hour.

Obstruction of the public Highway is a criminal offence. So why are these scruffy herbert`s allowed to get away with it ? Why arnt they all arrested as soon as they block the road and prosecuted ? 

Obstruction of the Highway

Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 says that “if a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”. 

7 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Obstruction of the public Highway is a criminal offence. So why are these scruffy herbert`s allowed to get away with it ? Why arnt they all arrested as soon as they block the road and prosecuted ? 

Obstruction of the Highway

Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 says that “if a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”. 

Can’t you pop down and have a dickiebird or are you busy with your buy to let property empire?