Unable To Send Doc To C Drive As Not Showing.

All of my docs are on spare drive E.  All programs etc are on C drive.

I wanted to send a folder or doc from E to C, but C is not showing up as one of the options. Why might this be?

You may have already said in previous topics -what OS are you running?

Hi, 

I have win 10.

Bit more info:

I got the win10 desktop at beginning of this year.

It seemed logical & easier to take the spare drive (that contained a copy of all my files) out of the old win XP pc, and put in the win 10. This is how  all my files-old & new ones are on the drive known as E drive.

If I click on a file or folder that is on E, the only option that appears in the drop down menu  as a potential drive to 'send to' is the dvd drive.

I don't understand why C is not appearing as an option. C is otherwise visible & usable.  There are no problems if I save a new file to it, or DL to it. :huh:

I had a feeling you had W10. Unfortunately, I have no access to a machine with that OS now - and never will have, so I can't really offer any suggestions.

One question though -somewhere there should be a list of all drives on the machine - is your E drive visible in that list?

Your best hope is that Ghozer or someone with knowledge of W10 and drive mapping &c. spots this. There must be a way of accessing 'E' from 'C' and moving/copying files - it is something I do on a daily basis on my W7 machine between  'C' and 'D' - the two partitions on my HD, and between various external drives.

38 minutes ago, Happ said:

“Send To” does not show the OS drive by default on any Windows platforms. You can modify the Send To list if required as it just a folder holding the options available. See the followimg article for examples. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/customize-the-windows-vista-send-to-menu/

Thanks @Happ- I was forgetting that I don't use that option - and confusing things - if I want to move/copy files or folders, I use the 'edit' function on the toolbar, much more flexible.

I assume this functionality is still available in W10, but can't check as I no longer have access to a machine running that OS.

Edited by RollingJ

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

One question though -somewhere there should be a list of all drives on the machine - is your E drive visible in that list?

Photo of screen

https://ibb.co/LdSf8L2

Edited by Janus

Right click file or folder, > Copy (or Cut to move)
go to C drive (where you want the file or folder) right click in the white-space, > Paste...

or just right click on a new folder and click paste, it will put straight into said folder...

Thanks for that, @Janus.

@Ghozer has answered you question simpler than I did, or was going to, but has now left me with a query - is the edit function as in W7 available in W10, and if not, why not? - it is simple and intuitive, to me, anyway.

What do you mean by 'edit' function?

if you mean when you right click a document, then there is an 'edit' option on windows 10 (at least on the text files/images I have) - in the same place since introduction!

Sorry, @Ghozer - I'm not being very clear. As I've said, I haven't had much experience of W10, and that I have has left me unimpressed, tbh.

In W7, if you open a library, or document, then at the top there is a menu bar with various options - File, edit, view, tools, help. If you select 'edit', you then have the option to, amongst others, t o 'copy to folder', 'move to folder', which then provides you with an extensive list of options. That is what I am referring to. Sorry if (a) I am being thick, or (b) trying to teach granny how to suck eggs. 🤨

This is a prime example of why allowing picturesin some boards would be a good idea - a picture paints a thousand words.

Edited by RollingJ

There is similar in Windows 10, there's a tool bar across the top under "My Computer" (or This PC as it's now known) - when you select a file or folder you can just click "Copy To" from there...

file-options.png?dl=1

I believe this is also in Windows 7 if I remember right!

Edited by Ghozer