Let's Talk About It - National organ transplant awareness week

image.jpeg

This week is national organ transplant awareness week. The aim being to encourage discussion about organ transplantation.
The law in England is due to change next year to "Assumed Consent". Wales already has this in law.
To clarify, this means you are deemed to have given consent unless you opt out.
However it does NOT give automatic permission for your organs to be taken for transplant after your death. 
It simply means the carrying of a donor card is redundant.
Your family will ALWAYS have the final say. Hence the need for promotion weeks like this.

Please, if you wish to donate your organs after death, have the discussion with your family. Make them aware of your wishes.

I was lucky enough to receive a much needed kidney last year because a complete stranger had the discussion with family.
Many others are still waiting.

We had the conversation years ago, as well as being on the donor list.   For us as a family, it's a no-brainer.

It's good to hear from a recipient for whom a donation made a difference.  

I have a question for Allen.

I have carried a card for several years. As far as I knew, carrying a card and all that it represented meant that my wishes at the time I originally gave consent could not be over ruled by family, or anyone else .

My question is, does the new law change this in any way?

I don't want any family member trying to over rule my wishes-I'm only in touch with one of them.

52 minutes ago, Janus said:

I have a question for Allen.

I have carried a card for several years. As far as I knew, carrying a card and all that it represented meant that my wishes at the time I originally gave consent could not be over ruled by family, or anyone else .

My question is, does the new law change this in any way?

I don't want any family member trying to over rule my wishes-I'm only in touch with one of them.

Your family already has the right to express their desire to over-rule your wishes and most medical professions will accept this.

Edited by max

I'm no expert but that is my belief also.

Family is always asked for permission.

I can only assume that if family can't be traced then transplantation wouldn't be an option.

Max and Allen

If what you are saying is actually what happens, then the system is not fit for purpose.

A person consents to donation of any body part to help as many people as possible at his demise . He carries the card in a wallet. 

He  departs suddenly. A disgruntled disfunctional family member turns up and blocks consent. If that is how it works we need a rule change ASAP.

Once I’m gone the hospital etc can have any part of me 

2 hours ago, rudds1 said:

Once I’m gone the hospital etc can have any part of me 

Not if your relatives decide otherwise, according to some posts above :huh:

From the first link regarding relatives:

Quote. it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule your decision. 

I donated my body to medical science at age 18 years, now I’m 65 they are unlikely to want me so my kids have been told to give as much of me away as possible and negotiate a reduction of cremation fees. Sometimes people are kept ‘alive’ via life support systems when they have been certified brain dead so that donated organs are in the best possible condition for recipients