Windows 10 Update

I don't believe it, this morning I switched on and it said new updates no option to refuse them so it has updated again, didn't take that long. However when it has come on it has removed all my office files again and my family history.  However it has now put the short cut to Google Chrome back on. I had put some new items in my favourites they have gone, it is now getting to the thinking of putting the hammer through it, this is ridiculous.

These updates deposit a Windows.old folder on the computer and you can roll back the update. You will find the instructions online. Goes without saying that we should all back up our documents etc at regular intervals, either on external hard drive/flash drive or in the Cloud. Dropbox is useful but there are many more Cloud services. 

37 minutes ago, iansheff said:

I don't believe it, this morning I switched on and it said new updates no option to refuse them so it has updated again, didn't take that long. However when it has come on it has removed all my office files again and my family history.  However it has now put the short cut to Google Chrome back on. I had put some new items in my favourites they have gone, it is now getting to the thinking of putting the hammer through it, this is ridiculous.

There have been a few updates to 1903 so you might as well put a bit of time aside and get them out of the way. They are much smaller than the main. I can understand from your first post that you're a bit wary...or very wary!! I'd just close all running programs, do the update then install Macrium reflect Free and do a system backup once it's all done and things are working properly.

I has downloaded and installed another update, now when I start up it says new version of windows, then when I come onto here I have to log in again even though I have clicked on remember me. It is also saying can't connect to one drive so have clicked on fix and it says it was frozen so clicked on unfreeze it. I am just going to reboot again because on the MS help forums someone said sometimes has to be rebooted several times.

Edited by iansheff

Just rebooted, no background display image now, the image where it asks if you like them and want to keep seeing them. I  also had to sign into the forum again, this is ridiculous and each time it starts it says welcome to your new version of windows.

Edited by iansheff

If it's a laptop you have, shut down and remove the power lead and battery.

If it's a desktop, shut down and remove power lead.

leave for a minute or two, replace battery/power and try again. Don't shutdown or remove the power if it's doing updates, only do it afterwards.

You can't remove the battery they are built in, I just rebooted still no picture just a blue screen but it has kept me signed in to the forum. Will see what Lenovo say tomorrow. when I ring tech support although I am not expecting too much as it is Windows and not Lenovo that is playing up.

OK, try this...

Press shift on the keyboard and keeping it pressed, used the mouse to click on the shutdown PC

or if your ok with commands, use  shutdown /s /f /t 0

Windows 10 stock doesn't fully shut down the PC unless you alter settings, it goes into a type of hybernte so it boots faster. A setting I never leave on, I always set mine to fully power off.

Same applies as above, don't do this if it's in the middle of updates.

Edited by zach

Ok thanks, I will see what the tech support at Lenovo say tomorrow before I try anything else, the Microsoft store icon appeared on the taskbar but won't open and disappeared after clicking. 

Update:

Rang Lenovo who got me onto Microsoft, they took control of my laptop and did a lot of exploring however the lady who I spoke with has arranged for someone to ring me tomorrow to sort the problem out. Lenovo said if I didn't get any joy from MS then we were looking at a  full system restore.

37 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Update:

Rang Lenovo who got me onto Microsoft, they took control of my laptop and did a lot of exploring however the lady who I spoke with has arranged for someone to ring me tomorrow to sort the problem out. Lenovo said if I didn't get any joy from MS then we were looking at a  full system restore.

a "Full System Restore" will definitely wipe any of your personal files/folders/etc - they may not be gone as it is, but doing a full system restore would wipe them...

If you're still stuck towards the end of the week, I could come take a look at what's happening...

27 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

a "Full System Restore" will definitely wipe any of your personal files/folders/etc - they may not be gone as it is, but doing a full system restore would wipe them...

If you're still stuck towards the end of the week, I could come take a look at what's happening...

Thanks Ghozer there is nothing there now to lose, so am not that bothered what happens as all my stuff is backed onto memory sticks and sd card. I will see what Microsoft do tomorrow when they ring me.