Windows 10 Update

I had in my settings that I would need a Windows 10 update and today a notification came on giving me choices as to when to do it, I picked pick a time and when I went to turn off it gave me the option of restart and update. It took nearly 2 hours. When it rebooted I put my pin number in and said couldn't load profile so reset my Microsoft password and got the same message. After a while I switched back on and it said preparing windows and let me log in. However it has annoyed me because it has removed all my Excel and Word files, all my music and all my photos. It never gave me a warning that I would lose them and never have lost files before. So if it says you need a windows 10 update make sure you have backed everything up.

Is this update listed as 1903 ?

Yes it says windows 10 version 1903 successfully installed, why have you had problems with it? Yet it says downloads pending when I go into the settings app, think I will be on the phone Monday with Lenovo tech support. it has certainly <removed> me off some apps won't work now inc the calendar, when I click on them a white bar appears under the app. Also now when I try to open my Excel spreadsheets it won't open some, it says they are corrupted. I think I will have to open them on my old Netbook and resave them and  see if that works. Oh and it also took my family history files, fortunately not added anything so still got my back up. 

Edited by nikki-red

I've had a look online and there appears to be some people having issues with files being deleted and not recoverable.  As you say make sure you're backed up before you install. 

Have just done a search on  1903 update I see what you mean about problems, I never gave it a second thought and just assumed would be like any other update. I think in future I will look and not bother if there are big problems.  Also when the menu opens is not as big, there are fewer icons, I can't even open the Lenovo app to get into all the information on the laptop. All my favourites have been deleted as well.

Edited by iansheff

I've a problem as well - I use an old password manager - "KeyWallet" - for the obvious, but also licence/serial numbers and the like.

After the upgrade, KW is claiming my entry password is invalid.

Thankfully I'd kept the original installer, and managed to restore the passwords etc. from a backup.

I haven't noticed any other problems/missing files.....yet.

Have managed to open the excel files on my Netbook  and copy and paste the contents into  new spreadsheets and save them with different name, these now open on my laptop. So now just need to try and sort the apps out and put the photos back on here.

More faff than you needed but at least you didn't lose them. 

11 minutes ago, mort said:

More faff than you needed but at least you didn't lose them. 

True was a lot of messing about, only thing totally lost are my holiday photos from 2017 which I only recently put on here, then deleted them off my phone and my camera to free up space. 

I hope anyone else who is going to put this update on their machine sees this thread and  what Mort posted  and they make sure they back their files before they update just in case.

5 hours ago, iansheff said:

True was a lot of messing about, only thing totally lost are my holiday photos from 2017 which I only recently put on here, then deleted them off my phone and my camera to free up space. 

I hope anyone else who is going to put this update on their machine sees this thread and  what Mort posted  and they make sure they back their files before they update just in case.

I lost some photos a while ago and got them back using this

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Its free, its easy but it can take a while if you enable Deep scan

Thanks for that I will have a look and see, I think it has just wiped most things though, it even took Chrome off.

Edited by iansheff

14 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Thanks for that I will have a look and see, I think it has just wiped most things though, it even took Chrome off.

Sounds like a complete nightmare. Recover will find pictures, videos, txt files, music and compressed files. It even says it can recover lost or deleted emails too but I cant vouch for how effective that is as I never used it to recover emails.

Good luck with sorting your system out matey 🙂