Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

Earlier in the year the Conservative government in Canada prorogued parliament for 144 days. 

28 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

They are part of the UK under an Act of Union by both parliaments and now The only way that Act can be dissolved is by agreement of both parties or a civil war.

The moment the Scottish people decide they no longer wish to be part of the union, the Act ceases to be of any relevance.

And a civil war? No need for one. If Scotland declares UDI what is Johnson going to do about it? Send the troops into Edinburgh and Glasgow? With a large part of the army made up of Scottish soldiers, good luck with that! 🙄

13 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Earlier in the year the Conservative government in Canada prorogued parliament for 144 days. 

Earlier this year? Or earlier this century?

In any case, it matters not. Two wrongs and all that.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Earlier this year? Or earlier this century?

In any case, it matters not. Two wrongs and all that.

Earlier this year. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/5359645/ontario-government-summer-break/

Two wrongs don't make a right no, but it adds some perspective. 

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If Ruth Davison wants to make a real difference tomorrow, she should resign from the Tory party and at a sweep make Johnson the Prime Minister of a minority government.

Ruth has resigned, as Leader , however she remains an MSP, and re-affirms her loyalty to her, Party, her Prime Minister, and to Scotland's place in the United Kingdom.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7406251/Ruth-Davidson-quits-leader-Scottish-Tories.html?fbclid=IwAR2C-GU8bR98iFH3mHhSP4x2HC1x1uwkKFQL5odpEnKbeqDLY5QVKItXlSc

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The moment the Scottish people decide they no longer wish to be part of the union, the Act ceases to be of any relevance.

And a civil war? No need for one. If Scotland declares UDI what is Johnson going to do about it? Send the troops into Edinburgh and Glasgow? With a large part of the army made up of Scottish soldiers, good luck with that! 🙄

Out of interest, how do you know how many Scottish soldiers are in the army? I know you didn't state a figure, but you said a 'large part' so I assume you have a basis for that. I wasn't aware the army kept (or published) such figures. 

6 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Earlier this year. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/5359645/ontario-government-summer-break/

Two wrongs don't make a right no, but it adds some perspective. 

But in the case that you’ve quoted, the reason was that they had finished all theirbusiness.

Just for comparison.

Is there anything stopping the scots from holding their own referendum or would boris send in troops?

Obviously he wouldn't have to act on the result, but I'm not sure the rest of the world would look kindly on that.

Obviously, after the next election they'd get one.

9 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Out of interest, how do you know how many Scottish soldiers are in the army? I know you didn't state a figure, but you said a 'large part' so I assume you have a basis for that. I wasn't aware the army kept (or published) such figures. 

No idea, but the British Army has traditionally recruited from the colonies with Scotland providing the greatest number of these recruits. There are something like 22 different Scottish Regiments in the British Army although I think that some have now amalgamated.

If you ever spent any time in Belfast during the 70s and 80s, almost every soldier on the streets spoke with a Scottish accent. 

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Is there anything stopping the scots from holding their own referendum or would boris send in troops?

Obviously he wouldn't have to act on the result, but I'm not sure the rest of the world would look kindly on that.

Obviously, after the next election they'd get one.

It may end up with a similar situation to Catalonia, whereby Sturgeon is prosecuted and has to flee the UK.

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

But in the case that you’ve quoted, the reason was that they had finished all theirbusiness.

Just for comparison.

That's the reason they gave. Just like the reason Boris is giving is because we've already had the longest session in over 400 years - there's always an innocuous sounding reason.. 

Other parties were saying it was actually because Mr. Ford’s absence from the House would aid Mr. Scheer on the federal campaign trail, and they would use the time away to help Mr. Scheer get elected. 

15 minutes ago, convert said:

Ruth has resigned, as Leader , however she remains an MSP, and re-affirms her loyalty to her, Party, her Prime Minister, and to Scotland's place in the United Kingdom.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7406251/Ruth-Davidson-quits-leader-Scottish-Tories.html?fbclid=IwAR2C-GU8bR98iFH3mHhSP4x2HC1x1uwkKFQL5odpEnKbeqDLY5QVKItXlSc

Also Even if she did resign as an MP it wouldn't have an effect in Westminster as she's a member of the Scottish Parliament not the British Parliament.