Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

3 hours ago, L00b said:

Don't worry, the EU27 won't forget, when the times come to reciprocate Tory immigration policies on the 1.6m Brits in the EU. I hope (but doubt) that your NHS will still be in a condition  to cope with all the Brexoded geriatrics from the Costas. Cheap repo'd villas for us, massive care bills for you: sounds fair :thumbsup:

Not sure about the EU bu it seems Spain does not agree with you:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenpope/2019/03/02/spain-shows-sense-in-dealing-with-british-expatriates/#37b24dcc1a09

15 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think you'll find (when you update your personal knowledge from, apparently, 9 months ago) that they do:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/09/23/inenglish/1569214269_989612.html

Hardly a surprise: the EU27 have been nothing if not consistent, in their common and individual messaging to the UK, about the use of the adjective 'reciprocal' where future immigration measures are concerned. You treat EU27inUK like ****, so will the EU27 treat resident Brits - exactly the same.

Worryingly for Brits in the EU27, your ex- (and future-) head of government's signalling today, is pretty unequivocal in that respect.

Let's not do the "Mercedes and Audi to the rescue" argument again, in respect of Brit OAPs on the Costas, eh? You've seen how long you've had to wait on the Germans, and yet they're nothing if not punctual ;)

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

I think you'll find (when you update your personal knowledge from, apparently, 9 months ago) that they do:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/09/23/inenglish/1569214269_989612.html

So Spain has passed a Royal decree guaranteeing British rights but also wants the UK to reciprocate in kind which is basically the same stance as in that 9 month old article! That is not the same as kicking them out which you seem to be suggesting.

58 minutes ago, apelike said:

So Spain has passed a Royal decree guaranteeing British rights but also wants the UK to reciprocate in kind which is basically the same stance as in that 9 month old article! That is not the same as kicking them out which you seem to be suggesting.

Quite, since "kicking them out" is your imperfect understanding of my post: Spain, like most of the other EU26 member states, has enacted domestic legislation so that resident Brits won't turn into illegal immigrants overnight come-what-flavour-of-Brexit-may. And, still like most of the other EU26 member states, Spain has been fairly generous with it too.

But then, in full application of this basic reciprocity principle, Spain has asked the UK to reciprocate its legislation in respect of Spanish (EU27) nationals in the UK.

Which the UK has yet to do, in its withdrawal legislation.

If the UK should not reciprocate, Spain won't bat an eyelid at trimming the provisions of this Royal Decree, to mirror what the UK does (or fails to do, as the case may be). So says the ElPais article (which, rather gently I think, does not bring Gib' into this equation - it should have).

Reciprocity. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

What is more difficult to understand (for many), is what this curtailing can mean in practice, for the tens of thousands of Brit retirees in Spain (and France, elsewhere too in smaller numbers), who are not wallowing in pension cash and assets: life gets real expensive real quick for non-EU immigrants in Spain (likewise in other EU26 member states) who need to buy and renew visas and healthcare cover every year.

Quickly, to the point where they cannot afford to stay there anymore (tons of testimonies with relevant domestic legislation, data and calculations, long available from many national Brit immigrant groups/associations). Now, where do you think they're going to rock up to?

So, today, Boris claimed that the UK has had enough of EU immigrants treating the UK like their home. It's legitimate to expect policies to match, in case of electoral success for the Conservatives. 

Reciprocity. It's not a difficult concept to understand ;)

Edited by L00b

When the next financial crisis happens the EU overlords will impose economic austerity on its member states to a far greater degree than anything we here in the UK have experienced.

NO to austerity - whether it comes from Brussels OR Britain.

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

When the next financial crisis happens the EU overlords will impose economic austerity on its member states to a far greater degree than anything we here in the UK have experienced.

NO to austerity - whether it comes from Brussels OR Britain.

Who are these "EU overlords" if not representatives of member states?

The UK's austerity is down to the Tories, not the EU. 

8 hours ago, L00b said:

Reciprocity. It's not a difficult concept to understand ;)

I agree but I think we will have to wait and see exactly how it unfolds especially with Spain as they are set to lose a great deal and by all accounts it could push them into a bit of a recession.

Edited by apelike

38 minutes ago, apelike said:

I agree but I think we will have to wait and see exactly how it unfolds especially with Spain as they are set to lose a great deal and by all accounts it could push them into a bit of a recession.

They aren’t the only ones. 

A disorderly Brexit is forecast to cost us up to 6% of GDP. A suggestion that you were reluctant to accept not so very long ago.

9 hours ago, apelike said:

Ah, so you are meaning to try the 'Audi & Mercedes to the rescue' argument again, in respect of Spain?

Besides updating your information about Spain's view of reciprocal immigration arrangements with the UK, you might wish to update your information about Spain's economic recovery (leads the way in the €zone growth), and accessorily the low-latency but steady Brexodus of Spaniards back to Spain (which the recent incentivisation plan from Spanish government will be helping along, no doubt).

You're set to lose much more regardless. Besides Gib'.

13 hours ago, Pettytom said:

They aren’t the only ones. 

A disorderly Brexit is forecast to cost us up to 6% of GDP. A suggestion that you were reluctant to accept not so very long ago.

IIRC in the past I was trying to get you and others to understand that projected forecasts are just that, projected, and are not actual losses at the time and may not be true in the future. Once again...  a forecast is a prediction, ie guess, as to what may happen in the future and just like weather forecasts despite having data they may also be wrong. Something which you still want to cling to in your latest post by stating that the 6% of GDP it could cost us is actually a disorderly Brexit forecast! 

Just now, apelike said:

IIRC in the past I was trying to get you and others to understand that projected forecasts are just that, projected, and are not actual losses at the time and may not be true in the future. Once again...  a forecast is a prediction, ie guess, as to what may happen in the future and just like weather forecasts despite having data they may also be wrong. Something which you still want to cling to in your latest post by stating that the 6% of GDP it could cost us is actually a disorderly Brexit forecast! 

I’m clinging to nothing. The 6% gdp cut has been forecast by some rather good economists. I’ll take it as highly likely.

Whilst we wait for economic Armageddon, maybe you could have a peek at your post, to see whether it contains  a touch of hypocrisy.

19 hours ago, Longcol said:

Who are these "EU overlords" if not representatives of member states?

The UK's austerity is down to the Tories, not the EU. 

Is the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, representing her member state Germany or the EU?

Is the President of the Court of Justice, Koen Lenaerts, representing Belgium  or the EU?

Is the President of the European Central Bank, Christine Lagarde, representing France or the EU?

We need to Take Back Control and Get Brexit Done. 

Edited by Car Boot