Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by Vaati

mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by mort

There is a brake clause or flextension which mean we can leave before that date.  

There are no excuses for not having a General Election in December, if Parliament don't support the new Withdrawal Agreement on offer.

Edited by Lockdoctor

4 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

There are no excuses for not having a General Election in December,

so, we can have a General Election every few months, but only one referendum?

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

so, we can have a General Election every few months, but only one referendum?

Don't be ridiculous we don't have General Elections every few months.  When a ruling party loses it's working majority it 's normal to have a General Election.  We had a EU/EEC Referendum in 1975 and the EU Referendum in 2016.  The 2016 Referendum result hasn't been implemented yet so there is no justification for having another EU Referendum anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

You don't seem to want either Brexit or a general election to break the current Parliamentary stalemate. You just want another referendum to overturn the democratic outcome of June 2016.

What kind of democrat are you?

I want a referendum to ratify or otherwise the proposed WA,followed by an agreed GE at an agreed date or at full term as dictated by Parliament.

That is the sensible way forward and totally democratic.

I take it your planned celebrations 🥳 for October 31st have been cancelled due to totally foreseeable circumstances.

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

You don't seem to want either Brexit or a general election to break the current Parliamentary stalemate. You just want another referendum to overturn the democratic outcome of June 2016.

What kind of democrat are you?

I don’t particularly want another referendum. I didn’t want the last one. I think that they are foolish and anti-democratic devices, usually used by weak leaders.

To answer your question. I’m the kind of democrat who thinks that we elected a parliament two years ago, let them  get on with their work. I think this is a fine parliament 

16 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I don’t particularly want another referendum. I didn’t want the last one. I think that they are foolish and anti-democratic devices, usually used by weak leaders.

To answer your question. I’m the kind of democrat who thinks that we elected a parliament two years ago, let them  get on with their work. I think this is a fine parliament 

Your fine Parliament moves a bit too slowly for the EU27's taste, hence 31 January 2020 is now the new 31 October 2019 (that was the new 29 March 2019), rather than the 2 years flextension mooted by many ;)

3 months is not whole a lot of time, according to the known Remain/soft Brexit progress scale. For the EU27, just enough to shuffle the cards and see if the Brexit game can be brought to a close one way or the other.

Have they started looking for Johnson's remains in a ditch yet, or are they waiting to start on Thursday?

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

The 2016 Referendum result hasn't been implemented yet so there is no justification for having another EU Referendum anytime soon.

here's the justification :

everything that the leave campaigners said was a lie - 'leave' in reality, looks nothing like the promises.

there, whether or not you're convinced is immaterial, it can be justified.

Edited by ads36

23 minutes ago, L00b said:

Your fine Parliament moves a bit too slowly for the EU27's taste, hence 31 January 2020 is now the new 31 October 2019 (that was the new 29 March 2019), rather than the 2 years flextension mooted by many ;)

3 months is not whole a lot of time, according to the known Remain/soft Brexit progress scale. For the EU27, just enough to shuffle the cards and see if the Brexit game can be brought to a close one way or the other.

Have they started looking for Johnson's remains in a ditch yet, or are they waiting to start on Thursday?

I’m pretty sure that three months will be plenty long enough for this parliament to ratify Johnson’s deal.

After a few strategic amendments, you understand 😀

51 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I agree.  The Parliament is doing exactly what they are paid to do, which is act in the best interests of the country by scrutinising any proposed deal for issues, weaknesses and unforeseen consequences.

People railing against MPs for cheating the will of the people are - universally - who don't understand the concept of representative democracy or the role of Parliament.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Oh dear, democracy is not your strong suit.  A referendum is the most democratic way to decide the outcome of one single issue.  The parliament we have at the moment is a rogue dishonest parliament because both the Labour Party and Tory Party  won 80% of the 2017 General Election vote had manifestos to implement the democratic 2016 EU Referendum result.  Implementation of the EU Referendum result can  been done in either of two ways which is either to accept the Withdrawal Agreement on offer or leave the EU by the legal no-deal default position.   Blocking Brexit  which the current Parliament continues to do is not implementing the  2016 EU Referendum result.

36 minutes ago, ads36 said:

here's the justification :

everything that the leave campaigners said was a lie - 'leave' in reality, looks nothing like the promises.

there, whether or not you're convinced is immaterial, it can be justified.

You're clearly bias because everything the leave campaign said wasn't a lie.  Both the leave and remain campaigns were poor and slanted the information to suit their own agendas.  There can be no justification for not implementing the 2016 EU Referendum result and cheating 17.4 million UK people out of their democratic wish because the voters never told any lies when they chose which box  to place a cross in on the ballot paper.

8 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Oh dear, democracy is not your strong suit.  A referendum is the most democratic way to decide the outcome of one single issue.  The parliament we have at the moment is a rogue dishonest parliament because both the Labour Party and Tory Party  won 80% of the 2017 General Election vote had manifestos to implement the democratic 2016 EU Referendum result.  Implementation of the EU Referendum result can  been done in either of two ways which is either to accept the Withdrawal Agreement on offer or leave the EU by the legal no-deal default position.   Blocking Brexit  which the current Parliament continues to do is not implementing the  2016 EU Referendum result.

Parliament isn't blocking Brexit: it has been for the last 3 years, and still is now, failing to agree on a particular flavour of Brexit (having however agreed to rule out the extreme 'no deal' version, commonsensically).

There is no democratic deficit in Parliament after 2017: quite the contrary. What you're seeing, is your representatives collectively attempting to grasp the sheer complexity of the mechanics underwriting your simplistic 'single issue' referendum outcome.

12 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You're clearly bias because everything the leave campaign said wasn't a lie.  Both the leave and remain campaigns were poor and slanted the information to suit their own agendas.  There can be no justification for not implementing the 2016 EU Referendum result and cheating 17.4 million UK people out of their democratic wish because the voters never told any lies when they chose which box  to place a cross in on the ballot paper.

The red bus (and those who created and organised it) says you couldn't be more wrong.